Alfa Romeo Forums banner

181 - 200 of 416 Posts

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #182 (Edited)
Components

Well I finally reached a point in locating the engine, so that other parts could be developed as needed.

The Spica Rack & pinion had to be shortened 6 inches so that the steering devices worked correctly without bump steer and optimal ackerman angles. The rack was easily shortened but to get steering arms shaped correctly required welding up the tapered hole for the steering rod end, then redrilling and tapering from the opposite side so that when swapped left to right they would be both very low, with rod end still mounted to the bottom. Additionally they were dropped farther and the ackerman angles adjusted (outward) to improve on Alfa`s positioning.

The engines position resulted in a driveshaft that is 8" shorter than the stock 2 piece driveshaft and 12 lbs lighter. The one piece shaft was made from stock Alfa u-joint ends and spline section using 2.750 " tubing. I machined an adaptor to that is welded to the ZF "Spicer sized u-joint" flange so Alfa u-joints could be used.

Although brakes were put together earlier, I had parts laying on the shelves from earlier race cars, so I built "Hats" for larger rotors and used lighter brake calipers. The rear hat was made from a stock rotor so the e-brake still would work. The rotor is a 11.75 inch steel set with Aluminum Lockheed(AP) calipers. About 6 lb per side lighter than the stock parts on the car.

The front hats were built from Aluminum hats that the rear rotors once lived on. It required welding up 3 holes on each one and drilling to fit the 4 on 4.250" stud pattern, and pressing in splined 12mm studs. They are being used to fit 12.19" Wilwood directional vane rotors .810 wide to fit in the GTV6 Aluminum Brembo calipers. I`ll build the caliper brackets while the suspension is apart to insert the 1200 lb in springs in the front. The front assembly (hat/rotor/caliper) is less than 1/2 of the Alfa stock ATE/unvented parts.

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #183 (Edited)
Ventilated braks install

Got the left side brakes finished with the mounts modified to fit the GTV6 Aluminum Brembos to the 12.19 inch rotors.

The modified reversed steering arms and 1200 lb springs are installed. These are the equivilent to 1000 lb springs on a std 115 chassis due to extended ball joints affecting spring rate calculation.

The weight of the brake assembly was 22 lbs for the stock ventilated brakes and ATE caliper, and 16 lbs for the 12.2 inch vented rotors on Aluminum hats with the Alum Brembo caliper.:p

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Cooling system

Since I eliminated the common thermostat housing/breather/oil separator that was fed by both heads in order to lower the front motor height, (as it was the tallest part), I installed individual thermostats from both heads into dual inlets welded into the radiator tank. The radiator is a Griffin 24" x 16", 4 row that should be plenty big for a (huge) little 160 cubic inch engine.:eek: Anticipated power output is expected to be about 270-275 HP and 240 lbft Tq.:D The 2 thermostat housings are Yamaha R1 pieces.

The oil will be cooled before going to the trunk mounted dry sump tank. The cooler is a Griffin 16'" x 10", 4 row, dual pass, motorcycle radiator that has 3/4 inlet and outlets that will be mounted in front of the radiator. Using a "water" radiator isn`t a problem pressure wise as oil from the scavenge pump is only under nominal pressure since it only will be flowing through the radiator and the lines, then dumping with no restriction into the dry sump tank. The hose type slip on inlets fittings will be cut off and welded closed. -10 AN aeroquip fittings will be welded in place for the oil lines.:p

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Springs

Wheel rate is a fraction of the spring rate the way the Alfa suspension is designed. Stock spring rate is about 450 lbs per inch. That results in wheel rate of about 270 lbs inch.

With my fabricated lower ball joints (see 1st pic in post #170 of this thread) that are 1 inch longer than stock ones to widen the track 1" on each side, the 1200 lb springs result in a wheel rate of about 650 lb in.

I suspect I may go to 1400 or 1450 which are the stiffest of common 5" x 9.5"
springs. I needed the longer version (most 105/115 cars would use the 8.5 ' long version, but my spindle drop is about 3 inches.

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Trudging on...

Making a little progress as other projects have been taking up my time. The lightened & CR transmissions took all of my time while not on the boat enjoying the fall weather.
Got the firewall and tunnel in the car. Now comes petals and tying the rack & pinion to a steering wheel... Building the seats from aluminum to resemble the old Porsche vintage race seats. Got the mounts & sill plates welded in for the roll cage:rolleyes: (No place to test all the modifications other than a race track.
But it really is a street car Melodie!:p)

The two sided access pannel on the upper passenger side of the firewall is to access the Distributor.

Fuel tank, battery and dry sump tank all fitted in their recesses..

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Project progress

Slowly making some headway with the interior structure and decided to go ahead and start bending tubing for the cage.

Weather is perfect now for using the boat and not spending the time in the shop as much on it as I could be...

Pics of progress over the last week or so below...

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Progress

Been working on getting the controls (brake petals and steering assembly) hung and have seats roughly made other than the finish around the edges.
About done with the layout of the cage other than the 2nd doorbars on each side.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
terrific cage

Love the cage you are constructing. Very nicely executed.

What is required to make those bends? It appears you used heat, but do you use a mandrel bender or what? Probably not something we amateurs could accomplish with minimal equipment, but just in case ...

I have an Auto Power roll bar in my Spider, and I would love to add to it -- if not for safety, at least to provide a little more chassis stiffness.

Your advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
732 Posts
No heat, all done on a hydrolic mandrel bender.
So your "hydrolic" mandrel bender have to work with gasoline, or your cage has a double function as exhaust system... look at the color of the material:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
Posted on behalf of RJ

Roll Cage Completed

Finished the cage and trimmed the seats to the shape I want. Seat edges will get rolled next week which adds strength.

Pics show cage and seats ready for finish work.

Being banned seems to improve productivity!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
RJ is banned? Well, if that is the case, I doubt alfabb will see another donation from me.

I don't support the nonsense but when it gets ridiculous, I tune out. I dislike childish "discipline" more than I dislike strong personalities insulting each other.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
Hi Rich,
I read the supposedly offensive post and I did not notice anything bad. The supposedly offensive statement has been deleted and no one can remember the words or tell what is going on. The process is definitely not transparent.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I also read the offensive post, and as the replacement text says, yes, it was "insulting content," but honestly, it didn't give back any more than was given.

Interested Party: Was that heat bent tubing?
Person who did the work: No, it was hydraulically bent tubing (with a slight misspelling which my experience has taught me is no indicator of intelligence or ability).
Third (uninterested) party: Oh, yeah, if it wasn't bent with heat, why do I see this color? You're obviously lying.
PWDTW: Well, I did the work, and it wasn't heat (and we have some history together, so STFU).

Anyway, that's how I see what happened, as a subscriber with no history or relationship with any of the posters here.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Well, well-so Richard offended someone who now has the button.

Where was that feature when the global warming cabal was beating me up for trying to remind of some basic physics?

As the saying goes, "I may not agree with what your T-shirt says, but I will defend your right to wear it".

:p:p

181 - 200 of 416 Posts