Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 423 Posts

·
Richard Jemison
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trying to make my `80 Spider look more like an Alfa than a "pushboat".
All steel renovation.
Bumpers were excellent but had to go. Have AAA so spare tire well gone too!:p
Battery box totally below floor from Stainless steel sheet.
Front Mods:eek: Grill brackets allow it to "float" in body opening... Turn signals are NOS `56 Ford truck. Should go well with Carello headlight covers.
Progress pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Wow! This is pretty cool... I can see what you mean by "look more like an Alfa"... And with the front vents, I've gotta ask: What's under the hood?!

Best regards,

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
And with the front vents, I've gotta ask: What's under the hood
I'm throwing my money down on some form of ram air setup leading into/feeding into ?

·
Richard Jemison
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Project...

Maybe replace the big ugly side markers with the little Euro markers, too?
Good idea. But I think none will be best. Thanks, Doing it!
Motor will be my 10.5:1, 2 liter with the big port head. Intake I`m either going to use the modified short & ported to match the head Bosch manifold with the 44mm Spica throttle bodies and megasquirt, or initially use the 45mm Webers & matched weber manifold.
Since the GTA short box has not been put back in the Giulietta I might use it or the lightened stock trans with the .86 5th gear.
Against my own reccomendations for street use, I have built a 4.56 4 disk LSD in a housing with axles decamcered one degree negative. But I am vassilating and thinking a 4.1 might be a better choice. But I always loved the Duetto with the 5.12 in it...
The rear brakes are light finned aluminum 2 pistons with light rotors. For emergency brakes I`ll use a "line lock" on the rear brake lines.... trying to reduce wheel weight..
Front suspension is 105 dropped with Aluminum Brembos. Wheels & tires 205-45-16 on 7.5x16 rims.
I`ll post some pics later...:p

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Really nice!!! I especially like the sheetmetal around the grill.
Tell me more about the '56 Ford Bullet lights, those look sweet :)

·
Richard Jemison
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Project...

It continues..
About the Ford lights? What else can I tell you. They are 1956 Ford PU truck front turn signal lights?
Side lamps gone. Thanks for the idea.:rolleyes:
By Monday the S3 spoiler should be grafted with the opening direct into the front of the oil pan.
A mild version of my first Duetto race car in `69...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Euro Carello plex headlamp covers I'm assuming?

Front air dam, side skirts, rear NASCAR spoiler?
Full size windshield removed and replaced with driver speedboat windshield with removable full-metal tonneau cover over passenger area, matching roll-bar for driver only, roll-bar faired behind driver for the D type Jaguar tear-drop look?

Just day-dreaming out loud. Never mind me. ;)

Love the look you are achieving and can't wait to see it in full color...

Red?

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Richard,

Looks like first class bodywork. What plans do you have for the rear?. A Spider with kinda similar mods and GTO front air vents appeared on the old BOBCOR website some time ago, but yours looks more tastefull. This will certainly qualify you for membership in "Scuderia Non-Originale". Although you have probably been a non official closet member all along...

It continues..
About the Ford lights? What else can I tell you. They are 1956 Ford PU truck front turn signal lights?
Side lamps gone. Thanks for the idea.:rolleyes:
By Monday the S3 spoiler should be grafted with the opening direct into the front of the oil pan.
A mild version of my first Duetto race car in `69...

·
Richard Jemison
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What Grill Is This

The Grill is one of several accumulated in my shop over the years... Have no recollection of what it came from. Could research but I`m sure one of you will know.:D

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slowly Continuing with the mods

Delivered the "Red October" to Dave Robertson in Atlanta Thursday and spent the weekend at Rd. Atlanta at the "Mitty". Disapointed at the absence of any racing Alfa`s there. It was nice to see the old Bobsy Alfa Sports racer but other than that nothing Alfa! Not one GTA! Last Mitty I attended in `96 was chock full of REAL "HISTORIC" race cars.

I`m surprised none of you could help identify the grill used. I`ll thumb through the "d`Amico-Tabucchi later to try to find..
But work continues..
The 3rd gen spoiler is getting grafted and we decided on it`s location. Minor argument over it`s final location. My artist with metal wanted it lower, but the car will have dropped spindles, and I didn`t want it being dragged on anything since it is a street car, we compromised on what is in the pics. Nick will form an aluminum duct back to the area of the oil pan for air ducting from the opening in the spoiler.
The new lights are H4 60/100s and will be set behind the fender opening to reduce the heat on the Carello covers.
The openings on each side of the grill will get one thin polished stainless horizonal bar similar to the early Giulia- Giuliettas. This will be "floating" as is the grill is in the front metal and matching the grill bars within the grill itself for appearance.
Adding an opening box behind the battery box in the former spare tire well for delicates. (Guns, C4, Tools...)
Nick wants to put some inverted vents over the header area in the hood, and sloped scoopes ahead of the rear wheels shaped to match the inverted body curve. Considering all this as he has a good eye for this type stuff......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Delivered the "Red October" to Dave Robertson in Atlanta Thursday and spent the weekend at Rd. Atlanta at the "Mitty". Disapointed at the absence of any racing Alfa`s there. It was nice to see the old Bobsy Alfa Sports racer but other than that nothing Alfa! Not one GTA! Last Mitty I attended in `96 was chock full of REAL "HISTORIC" race cars.
You must have missed the Jr Z..................:eek:

Here it is as well as the other car:

You can see more pics of The Mitty at: msmithphoto's photos- powered by SmugMug

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yellow Jr Zagato

Well... I admit that I did see it but it didn`t reach the my criteria of "racing Alfa". With appologies to whoever might take offence. However, it`s no race car...track car I`ll subscribe too. That`s why the Mitty was a big dissapointment!

·
Richard Jemison
7,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Forgot To Ask. Karman Ghia Hardtop?

I would like to convert the Spider to a coupe using a old style top.
Stay Seated for a minute...:eek:These are not collector cars for goodness sake!
I`m looking for a Good, Karman Ghia metal top, and would like to have the "A pillars as well. The "C" pillars are essential.
I think it would look great! With a little short opening deck lid...:p

·
Registered
62 Posts
coupe top

I love the front. It is something I would like to do to mine! For the top, what about a 240Z Datsun? With the GTO type front end you could have the hatch and the Datsun rear spoiler would seem to fit in. Only an idea. Love to see your finished work. Michael

1 - 20 of 423 Posts