Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys -

I'm about to start a light restoration of a 1970s Spider 2000 (USA spec) but the keys were lost before we got hold of the car. Does anyone know if the ignition key is the same as the door keys? If so, I'll remove the door lock and get a locksmith to cut one key.

If not, can anyone advise me on getting the old ignition lock off? Some cars of that period used 'snap-off' bolts, so you have to drill them out: is this true of the Alfa?

Any advice much appreciated!!
Thanks
Bruce

·
Premium Member
21,206 Posts
It's not the same as the door key. Totally different blank. To get the ignition switch out, remove the two plastic clam shell halves around the steering column. Yes, there is a break-off bolt, if it's still there. It should have a round head. Use a small chisel to turn it out, or cut a slot in the head and use a screwdriver. The break-off torque is not that high, so they're usually not that tight.

The ignition switch is the same on GTVs, Spiders, Berlinas of the period.

Andrew Watry

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don't think you even need to get it off. Instead, carefully remove the stainless steel shroud that surrounds the key hole. Underneath will be a number- that is the lock code number. Send it to http://keys4classics.com with about $10 and they send you a brand new key. I have done this- it works perfectly and took about 10 days (to UK).

As far as the barrel locks on the doors, glove compartment, etc, I was quoted about £40 to get a key cut for a lock without a key. Being a skinflint, I used the alternative method: i took the lock barrel out of one of the door handles, cut a rough key from a peice of steel plate, the filed it down until all of the lock 'things' were in a straight line and it turned. Then, I bought a key blank for £2 and copied the outline. Sounds basic, but it took about 45 minutes and was very satisfying!

·
Registered
445 Posts
That's a perfect description, sans the correct terms. The 'things' are called 'pins', and the straight line is the 'sheer line'. It's not hard to do, and cheaper than having a locksmith do exactly the same thing at $70 per hour. (On the other hand, the smith will only take 20 minutes to do what will take you about two hours.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts