Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am currently working to restore a factory hard top I got off a 1979 parts car. Luckily, all the rubber seals are in great shape (almost). However, all metal bits on the underside were rusted to oblivion, and most of the latching mechanism is missing. I can't find much information on what the underside of the hardtop is supposed to look like, can somebody please post some detailed pictures of the underside (and especially the proper latching mechanism) of a factory hardtop?

Thanks,
Ian

1981 spider (daily driver)
1979 'spider' (rust, bondo, and spare parts on wheels)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I will get a pic tonight but I can tell you that mine is a j-hook that is connected to a small turnbuckle and is pinned to the top. The turnbuckle obviously allows you to lengthen or shorten the j-hook. It hangs down from just behind each window. The j-hook has a simple lever action as well that once you have the j-hook attached to the car, tightens down on the j-hook. If I don;t see anyone post a pic, I will put one up tonight.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi,

I am currently working to restore a factory hard top I got off a 1979 parts car. Luckily, all the rubber seals are in great shape (almost). However, all metal bits on the underside were rusted to oblivion, and most of the latching mechanism is missing. I can't find much information on what the underside of the hardtop is supposed to look like, can somebody please post some detailed pictures of the underside (and especially the proper latching mechanism) of a factory hardtop?

Thanks,
Ian

1981 spider (daily driver)
1979 'spider' (rust, bondo, and spare parts on wheels)

Hi,

The S2 type factory hardtop uses the same latches in front as the convertible top, and is held down in the back by the same kind of j-hooks and turnbuckles as the Parrish Plastics hardtop. The inside had a textured hard plastic liner.

I need a back window though. It would be nice if someone could make a pattern of an intact one so I can have it remade in plexi. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the link. Steve, could you possibly take a close-up picture of that metal plate which has the "Alfa Romeo Hard Top" badge riveted on to it? That strip of metal on mine is rusted to bits, the rubber seal on yours is missing on mine, I need to figure out what to do to make a new one. Also, I have a rear window, but I don't know how to make a pattern for it, as it is a rather complex 3D shape. If you happen to know how I could make such a pattern, I could probably do so (if it's easy :p ) since I have the rear window out at the moment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts