Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
64 GIULIA SS, 71 GTV, 91, 92 SPIDER
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Still alive and well. this project has definitely taken more time and $$ than originally planned. I will prevail!!!!
There has been a lot of back and forth, in tweaking the dies and molds for these gaskets. mind blowing to us that Alfa did not have original drawings of these darn things, perhaps a third party had assumed production of these during their short lived production tenure.
Nevertheless, be patient friends we are almost there. we are expecting another round of samples this week. will post pics of the progress, when i receive them....

Also working on side window and rear window gaskets with a chrome inlay in order to better complement the vehicle. To me, the top always looked out of place and non-cohesive to the spider. Thought some chrome inlay would tie it all together. any thoughts??? I am sure the purists are eye-rolling here, but why not improve, right? I am sure the technology did not exist back then to do such forming perhaps, otherwise I am sure it would have been.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Also working on side window and rear window gaskets with a chrome inlay in order to better complement the vehicle. To me, the top always looked out of place and non-cohesive to the spider. Thought some chrome inlay would tie it all together. any thoughts???
I'm with you, I'm not a purist and I think that some chrome inlay would do it !

Thanks again for your work !
Dominic

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m very glad to see that this is still in progress!

Also working on side window and rear window gaskets with a chrome inlay in order to better complement the vehicle. To me, the top always looked out of place and non-cohesive to the spider. Thought some chrome inlay would tie it all together. any thoughts??? I am sure the purists are eye-rolling here, but why not improve, right? I am sure the technology did not exist back then to do such forming perhaps, otherwise I am sure it would have been.
*Optional* chrome would be nice so those who don’t want it (purists?) can still benefit from your effort.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
My top is in great shape but missing the jhook covers. Does anyone know where I can get a set?
I would have thought those are a great candidate for 3D printing.
especially if you do not use the original fastening hooks (the plastic hooks have to be really strong and I don't think 3D printing could handle that)

just 3D print the flat covers and use velcro to hold them in place. You could cover the plastic in vinyl material to give it its original look.

..wasn't Kevin (Shakey) working on this?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Any development for this project ?
Take care
Oh yes, this hardtop set has been a long and arduous process. They are finally completed and approved for production, i have a few pics taken from the sample set applied to one of our hardtop donors.However, due to the current global events the factory is on limited production. We are following up weekly for updates. I am very eager to get these in hand and released.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Thanks for the update Mozzafiato. Glad to know the project is still ongoing. Stay safe !

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just rescued a top!! Please add me to the "want list". Does anyone have info on a spare driver's side small window?? Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Well its taken about 2 years, 1 pandemic and lots of "lost in translation" emails, however, this project is just about completed. FINALLY!
The manufacturer had been offline and still recovering from 2020's health crisis adding further delay understandably, but we are back on track. Received the final samples in for approval and are now in production with the Hardtop Seals.
Thanks to the encouragement from our local Alfa Shop and customers and more importantly the BB forum with its invaluable and seamless knowledge of all things Alfa, we will be offering this complete set @ $400.00, a great deal considering the amount of tooling costs involved with this project that were constantly developing. Chances are if we would have known these at the onset we most likely would have scrapped the effort. But we Alfa guys/gals are persistent and never give up until we are back on the road. In other words we have a knack of throwing good money after bad. :rolleyes:

This complete set will include the following: ALL joined/fused from the factory.
1. the front seal
2. the rear base seal
3. two main side window seals L,R
4 the rain gutter seals for front and 2 sides that screw under the metal brackets between the A and B pillars on the hardtop ( if yours are rusty, we will be offering these as well, because we too need them. coming soon)
5. the 2 front corner joints
6. the 2 B pillar corner joints
7. the factory putty, the black tarry stuff that you often see if you looked in most of the joints of your hardtop as filler for leaks, fitment etc. is extra 25.00/roll

Are you guys cool with this, before we get any deeper into it?
We will be creating a website soon for the above and other miscellaneous items for restoration of the Alfa top, please let me know and i will begin compiling an updated want list. thank you all for your patience.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
I'll take a set.

Reactions: MOZZAFIATO

·
Registered
67 Posts
As long as you take Visa, I’m in. Thank you for undertaking this project and the effort it took to cross the finish line.
Well Done.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Does making just door corner seals and other small bits in the kit pencil out for you?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Does making just door corner seals and other small bits in the kit pencil out for you?
I thought about offering the individual pieces, but it seemed as though most everybody was in need of a majority of the seals as most of them have deteriorated after 30 some odd years. Its probably best to replace the whole kit for proper fitment and a significant cost savings.
There is a premium attached to the individual components and packaging as well, the answer we received was the more hands that touch it, the higher the $$. No thanks! Didnt quite understand the logic.

We are simply trying to extend the lives of our Alfa Romeo brand and enjoyment, not in the business to gouge.

We can look at it again in the near future though, should the project have legs.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I was looking for a single seal to fit around the windscreen for my son's Peugeot Cabriolet. The only one I could find was on sale for £450, so we'll just patch up his existing one! Your price for all of these seals sounds a steal to me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I was looking for a single seal to fit around the windscreen for my son's Peugeot Cabriolet. The only one I could find was on sale for £450, so we'll just patch up his existing one! Your price for all of these seals sounds a steal to me.
Wow, 495 quid for 1 Peugeot seal? Well thats certainly not going to happen on my watch. Thank you for the sincerity, i hope our fellow Alfisti agree

·
Registered
17 Posts
We will be creating a website soon for the above and other miscellaneous items for restoration of the Alfa top, please let me know and i will begin compiling an updated want list. thank you all for your patience.
[/QUOTE]

Hi Mozzafiato,

Again, great thanks for the years of work and patience you've put into this! Impressive. Of course, I'd still like to buy a set. One question, in your opinion, is this putty necessary for the complete seal set replacement, or just useful for future repairs and adjustments? Happy 4th of July!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Hi Mozzafiato,

Again, great thanks for the years of work and patience you've put into this! Impressive. Of course, I'd still like to buy a set. One question, in your opinion, is this putty necessary for the complete seal set replacement, or just useful for future repairs and adjustments? Happy 4th of July!
[/QUOTE]
No its certainly not necessary, however, because of the flexing of the fiberglass hardtop over the years, each of our tops may be slightly out of factory tolerances if they had such a concern back then. We have found this to be true in all of our test hardtops. A few needed 'putty" and others did not and a few a little more than others. Its simply to keep rain water from sneaking in from all these minute gaps. As an FYI all of our factory original tops had some form of this putty in most all of the joints that we had encountered. The original design was probably flawed a bit hence the compensation with this "putty" material. i hope this answers your concern. This material is similar to Play-doh, if you have had the joys of replacing your power window motors, it is the same material that is covering many of the screws beneath the door card, on the door metal.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts