Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I got a replacement hard top for my 1987 Spider Quadrifoglio. The top is from an S4, which means that the cable is slightly shorter than an S3‘s, too short to plug in to the car. Has anyone made an extension for this cable? Does anyone know where I can get the connectors to make up my own?

I’m sure a call to A.P.E. is in my future.

I have the original top minus the rear glass and am considering restoring or selling it.

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
uhmm...interesting
I can't imagine there is a difference.....people have been sticking S4 hardtops on lots of different spiders these days.....and there has never been a posting that it hasn't fitted (as long as it is going onto a spider that has the electrical provision for a hardtop)

where is the connector on your particular car/hardtop
this is the factory connection on an S4
female connector
hardtop connector female.JPG

male connector on hardtop itself
hardtop connector male.JPG

I very much doubt you will find a rear glass (well, any glass really!) for the S4 hardtop...never seen one offered anywhere, ever.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Connectors are identical except that the cable in my S4 top is slightly shorter. I imagine the female connector on the S4 body is mounted higher.

A few months ago rear glass became available from one of the shops in Europe. Be surprised!

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
you must be thinking del Priore.
Del Priore
If so, don't count too much on their website, ask them in an email if they actually have the glass in stock.
My experience with delP is everything is in stock (those little green bars say so, right;)) till you ask for it.

Still, they might well have organised a new run of production....not impossible.

if the cable in your S4 top is too short to meet the other half behind the b pillar, than just cut the wires through and extend the wires...job done.
(or of course delP has that in stock too, #7)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm several hundred miles away from my Spider so can't look it up but do we know made the original glass? I've had experience in the past of going direct to Pilkington in the UK who've been able to furnish Mercedes car glass pieces that nobody else had in stock.

Even if they weren't OEM ISTR they can organise limited number runs for car clubs/group buys...

Peter

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
I'd hazard a guess it was Sicursiv, same manufacture who made the rest of the glass on the car.

Reactions: Kember

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Indeed it is Del Priore. Of course I was in touch with them directly, not just relying on the web site. It took a few years of staying in touch before they had the glass in hand.

I’ve considered extending the wires and might end up doing that; however, I prefer to attempt sourcing connectors first so I can wire up a short extension, thereby avoiding splicing into the existing wires.

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
well, good to know they do have the glass ....I wonder if the delP glass has the rear demist built into it?...did you ask them that?
(and someone else on BB is remanufacturing all the rubber seals too :))

I believe the closest someone here on BB got to sourcing those unique looking hard top connectors was here, a type of molex connector:
Bought a matching hard top for $250!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts