Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen on various forums, including this one I think, that Alfa made an "Error" in the Spider front suspension geometry.

What is the error and how hard is it to fix?

My '74 Parts don't seem to be selling.
Considering using it as a donor for something Lotus Seven like.
Frame would be custom but it would be nice to keep the suspension as close to stock as possible for ease of maintenance.

On a traditional Seven type car handling is paramount as power is limited.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Not an error, rather that the front suspension geometry of the earlier 105 coupe & Spider can be improved by the use of "Knuckle risers" that result in raising the upper pivot point of the spindle / upright. This was changed on the later cars that had "Taller" spindles. Use Search and Knuckle Riser for lots of discussion.

I've seen on various forums, including this one I think, that Alfa made an "Error" in the Spider front suspension geometry.

What is the error and how hard is it to fix?

Frame would be custom but it would be nice to keep the suspension as close to stock as possible for ease of maintenance.

On a traditional Seven type car handling is paramount as power is limited.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Check out the term "Locost" for ideas and frame designs on a seven lookalike. The only problem you may have is the spider engine sits a bit tall for these, and you may have to fab the hood a bit differently.

I have a spare motor, trans, rear end and other bits waiting on my getting one started. Of course, I still have to get my 81 running first.

Mo in NJ

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
A BB member in Lincoln, Nebraska, has built a LoCost with Alfa power. TSuppa.

Check out the term "Locost" for ideas and frame designs on a seven lookalike. The only problem you may have is the spider engine sits a bit tall for these, and you may have to fab the hood a bit differently.

I have a spare motor, trans, rear end and other bits waiting on my getting one started. Of course, I still have to get my 81 running first.

Mo in NJ

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm already on the Locost forum.
Kind of looking for one of the old Antique and Classic Alfa bodies originally intended for use on VW chassis.

Wondering if the Spider uprights could be "Corrected" by mounting them differently (Lower?) on a custom chassis.
Wanting to build this with as few custom parts beyond the chassis as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
Richard,

I understand that the later 105 chassis had the taller spindles that improved the geometry from the earlier, shorter, spindles that the knuckle risers were created for. As I understand, desirable geometry is obtained by the lower front A-arms being parallel with the ground. However, some like myself, lower the car further with the A-arms angled up from the mounting points. The best way to lower the car is with offset spindles as made by Richard Jemison, "Alfar7", but I can't use these under SCCA Solo rules.

I'm already on the Locost forum.
Kind of looking for one of the old Antique and Classic Alfa bodies originally intended for use on VW chassis.

Wondering if the Spider uprights could be "Corrected" by mounting them differently (Lower?) on a custom chassis.
Wanting to build this with as few custom parts beyond the chassis as possible.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, but for "Team Cheap" and a custom chassis it would seem I could just lower the inner upper mount to achieve the same "Tall upright" geometry.
Unless I am missing something?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another odd question.
Anything inherent in the Alfa uprights that prevents exchanging them left to right?

I would need front mount R&P steering for my project.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TSUPPA has now sold his 7-Alfa.
Unfortunately I am not the buyer,

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had one of the VW's with the replica 1931 Alfa fiberglass body kits on it and I'm pretty sure that the front section is too narrow to fit an Alfa engine by the time you add the intake and exhaust. I had to get rid of the replicar as it was unsafe at any speed and totally impractical. As far as your uprights go, if they are from a 74, they are already the taller version. I think the change was made in 1967 when they went to Ate calipers. You should be able to front mount R&P to what you have. The caliper brackets and the arm to the tie rods unbolt from the upright. You can flip things around, but you might have a clearance problem with the caliper and tie rod.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally back on this project again.
Carefully trying to make sense of the chassis drawing I found in another discussion.
Doing a tube frame Dio-Tipo/Alfa.
Now have some software that should make this easier.

As to the VW kit car, I had one too, wish I still did.
Mine drove just fine, better than a stock Bug, and a lot more fun.
Dio-Alfa should be a blast, will probably get me arrested, again. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
I can't tell you why. But Alfa put spacers between the lower A arm and the body on the drivers side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts