Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I have purchased two parts cars in the last 5 or so years, reasonably complete for $600 - $700. I even sold a few things off and have plenty of spares for the future

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
4-500 bucks...

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
Glad to hear that you have a wrenching background. Many of us here do but I found the Alfa to have some "peculiarities" not found in my experience. Well built and designed for sure just adds a new chapter to your learning book! I certainly have had fun learning about these performance bred cars and have the fever.
Always Looking For Another!

·
Premium Member
14,261 Posts
How much could one expect to pay for a buildable engine?
The key is to find one local as they cost so much to ship. A bit like buying an axle. I bought an excellent short block for $100 from an ABB member who lived twenty miles away and I was given a complete engine for free by a guy who lived 2 hours away. I drove about 16 hrs round trip to buy one for $400. You are more likely to find one on Craigslist than on ebay or the ABB

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
True. There are a lot more if them on the East coast than the West but they last longer over here. There is a 77 parts car here in town for 300 bucks not much useable on it but all the drivetrain is there.. . SPICA.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well, I'm in southeast Tennessee. Does anyone have a lead on a parts car in these parts? I have trailer and am willing to travel. I will start checking out Craigslist. Any information is greatly appreciated. I am really enjoying being a part of this community. More fun than I've had in a while....Thanks, Gary

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
The key is to find one local as they cost so much to ship. A bit like buying an axle. I bought an excellent short block for $100 from an ABB member who lived twenty miles away and I was given a complete engine for free by a guy who lived 2 hours away. I drove about 16 hrs round trip to buy one for $400. You are more likely to find one on Craigslist than on ebay or the ABB
The joys of Alfa ownership, ...... many of us have similar tales. Currently I am looking at an old (65 years) Chrysler about 9 hours away. Wife is giving the thumbs down

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
930Cabman, who ever let a little thing like a wife/ornot interfere with true love? You only live once. Go get that Chrysler!!!! **** the torpedos!

·
Premium Member
14,261 Posts
I once drove from Columbia SC to Memphis with a rented trailer to pick up a 1970 Spider parts car. It was 16 hours round trip and my wife went with me. It looked awful and was rusted out and she wanted to know why we went to such trouble for such a piece of junk. It was a Euro spec car that had been originally sold in Canada and then imported into the US. That was almost 20 years ago. The steel rear bumper is on my 79 Spider. The Euro cams did service in several motors and I think that the intake manifold is the same one that is on Rich Hanning's hot rod Spider.
The car had sat in a warehouse for about 10 years. The owner had bought it with the intention of restoring it for his wife to drive but it was vandalized. The Burman steering box was broken. I found a wallet under the seat with an old drivers license and a military ID card and I tracked the guy down in Oregon and mailed him the wallet. He had been stationed at a navy air base in Memphis and his girlfriend at the time drove it into a pothole which broke the steering box. He could not afford to get it fixed and he had to sell it. It was silver, a premium color back then and it must have been a real looker, one of the earliest Kamm tails.

Reactions: AaronsSpider

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Over the years I have been to wash st., St. George Utah, Maryland, tucumcari New Mexico, Albany New York, Ankeny Iowa, st Louis, Roanoke Va, Pepin Wisconsin, and I'm certain I'm leaving a few out to pick up cars I've bought. I've always enjoyed a good road trip.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Dumb question - why do we do such nonsense? even with wife in tow?

I thought they were supposed to keep us on the straight/narrow

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Personally, I'm a much happier person when I have a project. Some people obsess over their lawn or golf or fishing or hunting or video games or......???We just happen to be car guys. I will add that the finest people I know I've met through this hobby. There are some bad ones out there but they are far far outnumbered by the really good ones.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
It doesn't matter what profession, there are bad eggs in everyone. Doctors, cops, car guys, ........

Very true, I haven't been in a bar in 20 years and do not chase women (other than my wife), so whats another car for the collection?

What a perfect gift for myself on fathers day, a 1955 Chrysler with original wire wheels. Not a hemi, but mostly original and not tons of rust!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Ok, I've pressure washed the engine on the stand...looks great btw. I located the engine numbers on the block....ARO1544*614124* can anyone out there tell me if this is the correct (numbers matching) engine for my car? The body # is; zar115410*00058253* the VIN is; ZARBA5585J1058253 maybe I should start another thread? Please advise? Thank you, Gary Ellis

41 - 60 of 71 Posts