Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
Exciting first time! Just take it slow, especially at first and keep looking everywhere for things you might have missed disconnecting.... it should never get "stuck" if it does back up and try again. You do have the rear of the car high in the air, dont you? It really helps with the angle it comes out. Most of all, dont sweat it! It is going to be easier than you think right now.....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
WooHoo!!! Engine and trans came out slick as a mink. Now the real fun can begin. I'm an old hotrodder. I'm seriously considering some simple mods to up performance. One I've seen is the switch to the early split manifold and removal of the catalytic converter. Are there any negatives associated with this modification? While I'm there to adjust valves, possibly some mild camshafts. Any suggestions on specific cams to use and where to aquire them at a reasonable price?
Any further suggestions? I don't want to get to the point where driveability is affected in an adverse way...Thanks, Gary

·
Premium Member
14,261 Posts
The one piece manifold costs about 10 HP but replacing it with a 2 piece or headers will raise your NO emissions, don't know if that is an issue.
Cam selection is limited by fuel delivery method. You can make anything work with Webers. For L-Jet or SPICA you should read posts from others who have done that.

·
Premium Member
14,261 Posts
Removing the cat will not reduce power and it may increase it. A stock 89 Spider with a fresh engine makes about 95 HP at the wheels.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
Did you get that backward Ed? The new cats have very little resistance, maybe 1/2 lb. Although you may live in a state that has no emissions tests it is still illegal to remove one. That was solely for information purposes...
You have the engine out, why not go through the whole thing? Adding a more aggressive cam would entail going through the whole head, in my opinion unless the head was super fresh to begin with. How was the compression before you removed the engine? Something impossible to get now( unless you have an elaborate setup) but you could do a leakdown. You need to know the health of the whole engine before throwing parts at it, no offense. Hurray on the removal! Now that you have crossed that threshold it will be cake in the future. Got an engine stand? HF has them cheap and you can make an adapter for an Alfa Nord easily....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I too believe it is wise to go through the head. My plan is to leak the engine. Inspect the bearings and do whatever is necessary. The car only has 70k so the rings and bearings should be good provided the PO properly maintained the engine. At least my prior experience with domestic engines leads me to think so. I have an engine stand from harbor freight, a welder, bandsaw, and a chopsaw.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
Could and should be but doing a leakdown may help you determine that. If you are going to go for some type of cam upgrade you should speak with Richard Jemison (AKA Alfar7). He lives race engines but would surely get you whatever you need, along with sound advice...

·
Premium Member
14,261 Posts
I once bought a used, tired engine for $400 to use while I rebuilt the one that had died when it dumped all of its oil. The used motor had US cams and I replaced them with Euro cams and changed nothing else and there was a noticeable improvement in performance. I have run many different cam combinations in Alfas and I can always tell the difference immediately without making other changes. You are limited to about 11 mm lift with a stock head.
If you want to make over 150HP then youbeber will most likely have to improve the head but just cams, pistons, exhaust and fuel delivery will make a big difference. Been there and done that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
How radical would the idle be with the 11mm cams. Would they work well with stock compression ratio?

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
I dont think he is doing the " duelling engines" like we do though, Ed. I would hate for him to throw some parts at his only engine and be yarding it back out soon. Sounds like Gary has a good grip on what he needs to do....

·
Premium Member
14,261 Posts
It depends upon the duration of the cams. Longer duration work better with higher compression ratio. I am sure that Alfar7 can give you specific advice.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Google (Southern thunder racing Gary Ellis) that's my 1934 Chevy nitro coupe. I campaigned in the earlier part of this century.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I too have a serious horsepower deficit disorder. I'll probably locate a spare engine and do a serious build. While enjoying this little spider with some mild upgrades.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I too have a serious horsepower deficit disorder. I'll probably locate a spare engine and do a serious build. While enjoying this little spider with some mild upgrades.
Smart move, having a spare is always a good idea. Take your time for a build and enjoy top down motoring in mean time.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts