Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I removed the plenum, intake and fuel injectors for reconditioning? Got to looking at things and decided to pull the engine and trans for gaskets, paint and detailing . While I'm at it I'm going to clean and repaint the engine compartment. Will the trans and engine come out together or should I pull trans first? Anything I should be aware of as I undertake this project? Thanks, Gary Ellis

·
Premium Member
14,261 Posts
There are hundreds of posts on the ABB about this. many people pull the engine and transmission together but some prefer to pull just the engine if they do not plan to work on the transmission. The search function is your friend.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I did this job not too long ago, for the first time. It wasn't difficult but it did take a bit. Label everything you take off so you know where it goes back. Clean and replace/repair anything in question in there, so you dont have to go back in.
tilting the back end of the car up helped significantly. Take all of the shifter parts off the trans, cover the trans tower with duct tape so nothing can fall down into it. It is not mandatory, but it made it easier for me.
If you can have a buddy help it would be even better. Someone to operate the engine hoist and someone to guide the engine.

There is a lot of information on the BB about it all, much better than I can explain. These were just the highlights that came to my mind.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
I have done it by myself 3 times now, engine and trans together. Actually pretty easy. Major points, get the rear of the car at least 20" off the ground. Move engine hook strap to 2nd row of head bolts instead of 3rd that they normally are. Take your time, jack a little, look, move it around, jack a bit more......

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks skibum. I'ma have to make something to pull it with. Any suggestions? I gotta hoist but nothing to bolt to head studs.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
I just use a short chain with a hook on it. I also rigged a ratcheting strap to adjust the angle of the engine/ trans as it comes through the tunnel.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
Dont you have a metal strap across two head studs to hook to?

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
I guess that depends on the person and the assistant!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like I remember something about removing sway bar? Already took steering down. All that's left are the mounts and donut at rear of transmission. And wires running up the pass side of transmission. Thanks for the guidance.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
Yes, sway bar keeps engine from coming forward enough to clear firewall. Those wires are for reverse sender. When you get it out far enough for shifter tower to hit top of firewall opening you will tilt and pull it through until shifter clears. Then it is clear sailing!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have shift lever out. All that remains is the stub it goes on. Does this have to come off as well

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
No, just tilt(twist) the engine when it gets to the firewall to clear it. Some tape up the top to not lose parts or have anything fall inside the tranny... not a good thing.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts