Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Though I've been a Lurker for many, many years, this is the first time I've actually needed to post a message since I've always been able to find what I needed with the "Search" function. This community is absolutely amazing!!

Enough buttering everyone up and sorry for the long post.... :)

I have a 76 Spider that I've been trying to get it back into decent shape, but I'm having a bizarre electrical issue that I need some help with.

I installed an older, after-market stereo recently. It works fine in the Spider whenever I'm parked and most of the time when I'm driving it down the road. However, the radio keeps cutting out and resetting in a somewhat repeatable fashion. The symptoms occur typically when I downshift to take a turn.

Usually, I'm pressing the brake, clutch is in, I shift to second, and either right before the shift or during it, the radio turns itself off. I thought it might be the original alternator and voltage regulator, but I just replaced those with an 85 Amp BNR alternator (thanks for the recommendation) and the problem still persists.

What's weird is I can't seem to replicate this unless I am actually driving down the road. When parked, running through the gears, engine revving, etc. it doesn't happen.

I assume it's some sort of power fluctuation, but I thought with the new, beefier alternator and regulator, things would be fixed.

Does this seem familiar to anyone? Any ideas on how to isolate my stereo and keep the voltage regulated just to it? I'm not an Electrical Engineer, but I'm familiar with electrical issues (PO completely jacked up a million electrical connections but thanks to Papajam, I've fixed more or less all of those).

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Is it possible that the radio wiring harness and its connectors is sitting on or near the shifter boot, and is getting nudged / disturbed when you go to shift ? Is there a multiplug or some sort of bodged connections in the harness in that area ? Just my £.02 worth.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I don't think there are any loose wires in the Radio wiring harness. I've resoldered a few places and even ran a new positive wire all the way back to the battery in the trunk but just no luck.

After reading a few additional threads, I'm seeing a lot of people talking about ground issues and even replacing the Alternator's positive cable due to random electrical issues. When I get a chance, I'm going to get in there and clean off all the grounds (body and engine) and try a new alternator cable to see if that helps.

Also getting a higher end volt/ohmmeter would help so I could track highs and lows while driving to see what's happening on that front, but having to limit my purchases for a bit -- parts for these Alfa's aren't cheap as you all know :)

Unfortunately, I herniated a disc in my neck chasing other wiring gremlins under the dash due to the contorted positions I had to get into so it will be a week or more before I can really get in there.

Thanks for the advice and assistance!

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
Is it possible that the radio wiring harness and its connectors is sitting on or near the shifter boot, and is getting nudged / disturbed when you go to shift ? Is there a multiplug or some sort of bodged connections in the harness in that area ? Just my £.02 worth.....
I believe garwood is on the right track here. Keep in mind that you can drive your car with the alternator disconnected (well, at least for a few miles) - the battery will supply consistent voltage. So unless your battery is going dead too, I think you are looking in the wrong place by focusing on the alternator and its wiring.

What about the ground for the radio? You said you "ran a new positive wire all the way back to the battery in the trunk", but what about the ground?

You also said "PO completely jacked up a million electrical connections". I'm not quite sure what "jacked up" means, but PO's have a habit of "f*cking up" electrical connections - you sure something isn't still amiss?

And what about the radio itself? You described it as "older"; might it have an intermittent, internal connection? What happens if you turn on the radio with the car stationary, and rap it with the heel of your hand?

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
A bad connection in the fuse box is another possibility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts