Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i found this pretty cool video on youtube, got to admit thats some fine driving (apart from the fact its on a public road...kind of dangerous) but whoever was driving has some skills.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e-NuudiSuE0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e-NuudiSuE0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Now to an important question, what do i have to do in order for my 78 to handle like that? (well apart from the driving skills) and is this someone on the board?

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
... not to get your hopes up on his 'driving ' skills.. but it is easy to get a spider to drift out like that.. just a lot of throttle,,even better if it's wet on the pav.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, well i got my spider late in the summer and spend most of the time i had trying to get it to work, out of the few test drive i did with the car, it always felt like there was quite a load of grip and getting it to slide would of seem more of a challenge.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
well i found this pretty cool video on youtube, got to admit thats some fine driving (apart from the fact its on a public road...kind of dangerous) but whoever was driving has some skills.

Now to an important question, what do i have to do in order for my 78 to handle like that? (well apart from the driving skills) and is this someone on the board?
Getting a Spider to handle like that is easy - just put on a set of really, really bad (and preferably bald) tires.

You're not under the impression that this will make your Spider any faster, right?

bs

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm aware that drifting around bends and corner doesn't get you trough them as fast as hitting the apex's, but you got to say it make you look.....cool. Does anyone else have video's of them or other's spider drifting?

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I'm aware that drifting around bends and corner doesn't get you trough them as fast as hitting the apex's, but you got to say it make you look.....cool. Does anyone else have video's of them or other's spider drifting?
It's not a function of hitting apexes. To set up a car for drifting, I believe you deliberately set up the suspension to 'non ideal' specs (i.e., something that would break the tires loose at less than normal threshold circumstances), and then install 'drifting' tires, which don't adhere as well as normal ones.

Cool? I guess it's a matter of taste, or maybe I'm just getting old. I have no problem with people who enjoy this stuff, but it doesn't do it for me.

bs

·
Registered
936 Posts
with skinny hard-compound all-season tires, my GTV "wants" to handle like that on wet roads. i don't know about the "Tokyo Drift" rice-rocket-boy cool factor, but it sure is tons of fun !

·
Registered
429 Posts
Definitly not the fastest way around, but it looks like a good time anyhow. I knew traffic circles must be usefull for something.

So which one of you is this?:D

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Yep, it always looks dramatic, and it's not hard at all to get your Spider to do that, but it's real slow compared to track driving. And besides, it's not at all cool when you take an agricultural excursion (you know how I know that, right?).:D

It ain't at all cool when you prang your Alfa after running out of road, either (you know how I know that, right?).:D

And it takes years of learning and mistakes made. A couple I made nearly involved me in a school bus unloading kids, and an unexpected intersection. The best way to learn to control your car is via sanctioned autocross events, where you can compete cheaply if you want, and learn with lots of room for mistakes. Find your limits and your car's, right?

Bottom line: Newton had it all right. I wouldn't try to disprove him again.;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i'm fairly new to the boards so i don't know all the stories....
Real drifting I find is an art, and i like to leave this work to the artist. (unless theres an empty parking lot around):eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Artists at work...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQ4S8E3PXkU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lQ4S8E3PXkU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Might be some rice-rockets but theres no denying these guys know their cars and this is quite a display of control and technique.

Edited this because Tifosi made a good point, I've since changed the video to a race at a sanctioned event. I agree that what they were doing was dangerous but this is not the only sport were people are inches away from the cars, ex:rally racing.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Nice to see 'artists' plying thier trade inches from an unprotected crowd.

True professionalism that really gives a great image to the 'sport'. (Joey Chitwood..... Now there was a car driving talent show :D )

From the mid-point: I've not done a doughnut with a door hanging open since 1980-something when the thing popped open on me and all my stuff fell out. LOL

Somehow I always thought that was more 'you dummy, don't let that happen again' kind of thing rather than 'oooh, look at the cool trick mommy'. I guess I was mistaken and the public at large truly will pay to see any number of stupid human tricks :D

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
"Drifting" is an event I just don't get. But then I don't like freestyle skiing, diving or figure skating either....well, some of those girls are pretty hot - but still......

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I don't consider drifting an art form, it's technical craftsmanship, proper application of steering and throtle. I think it's cool but only briefly :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts