Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would post a few pics of my Series 1 dash vent restoration. You are talkin dirty....anyhow a pretty simple chore with a few twists. Prior to disassembly I noticed that there was (the remnants of) a rubber gasket surrounding the vane to create a seal.

Disassembly is as follows: remove the tiny e-clip at the top of the "vane post" and remove the very small cotter pin that retains the vane. (Don't worry about the orientation of the lever or the vane because it only goes together one way due to the spring...) Pull the vane post down, pulling the post out of the slot in the vane. As you pull down, you will have to orient the post up to relieve pressure exerted by the spring that provides the open/close pressure. Its hard to describe so you just have to feel your way to remove the spring which allows for separation. Once separated, be careful to not lose the two small plastic guides for the top and bottom of the post and by all means do not break them accidentally! Remove the vane. This provides access to the 10mm retaining nut for the vent grille retaining bar. Remove the nut and the bar will slide out of its retaining slots.

At this point, I took whatever scraps remained of the rubber to determine the shape of the replacement. I bought 1/16" sheet of rubber to approximate the 2mm thick rubber that seemed to be original. At this point I determined that the replacement seal would be oval shaped; following the contour of the vane. There needs to be an oval cut on the inside also as the seal is retained by a slot for that purpose. I didnt do a perfect job of the template (see the white paper template photo). Cut the oval and set aside.

At this point, all metal parts were cleaned and repainted semigloss black. Plastic was cleaned using orange cleaner and Novus plastic polish. The e-clip and cotter pin were reblued.

Install the rubber oval on the vane and make a relief cut along the axis of the vane post to provide room for the post to slide past it.

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts