Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '87 Veloce, I removed the front cowl (the panel with the air vent intake, windshield washer nozzles etc) and have it refitted--provisionally. What I am looking for are 4 replacement fasteners for the front of the cowling (they go through the rubber trim stripping, through the cowl, then through the sheet-metal to hold down the front of the cowling). A couple of the original ones are a little mangled trying to get them to hold still while I backed out the screws--which was a little chore since a couple of the screws were a little rusty from having water lay in the Phillips recess.... I'm planing on replacing with a delrin washer under the new screw heads (instead of a metal washer) to keep the metal screw head from touching the sheet-metal, but got stopped-short locating some new plastic fasteners. The usual 'auto-marts' bring no joy, and the local Alfa dealer doesn't have them--I wouldn't imagine its something they'd have anyway....

Why take off the cowl anyway :eek:? I wanted to triple check the drains, lubricate the wiper mechanism, check the mastic seal at the base of the windshield, treat and clean the rubber between the cowl and fender as well as the rubber weather-strip for the hood.... Now that that is all done.... Come to think of it, who was the guy with the gold Spider in Hawaii who was putting it back together with a nice picture commentary? He might know. Should I just head to a body shop and see what they have for plastic fasteners?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts