Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how long do Spider clutches seem to last? Mine's at 120K, and per the PO it's still the original clutch.

Seems surprisingly long. I'd assume it's on its last legs but it hasn't started slipping yet.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I know that. I could kill a clutch in five minutes if you let me. I'm just wondering how long folks have seen the OEM clutch go for.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,332 Posts
At this point it's an unknown.

I believe most Alfa clutches these days get replaced "while you're in there" for trans or engine work, not because they wear out and slip.

120K is a long lifetime for a clutch but not unheard of with a sympathetic driver.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Have about 80 some thousand miles on original clutch. In my Honda I put 186,000 miles, and had a VW with 220,000 miles. Traded them both in before replacing clutch.

·
Premium Member
3,847 Posts
Back in the day. The average was around 85,000 miles on customers cars. Most were driven daily and this was in Atlanta.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, as the original owner of my '73 Spider, I can tell you that my Spider, @ 108,000 miles and 44 years young, still has its original clutch. For the last 20 years or so I have expected it to die any day but, like the old Timex ad, it just keeps on ticking.

Bob J.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Tom, I replaced the original clutch in my S4 at around 68,000 miles, but at that time I was a regular in autocross and replaced the u joints and giubo also (standing starts). Under less abusive use, I'd expect to get at least 100K miles from a good OEM clutch.

·
Premium Member
21,123 Posts
I have 55K miles on my Super clutch. My cousin got 320K out of a BMW clutch, not that different.
Andrew

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Yeah, I figured about 100K like most other cars. I'd been told that the S4 clutches only seemed to last about 50K and was curious if that was others' experience.

Regardless, I figure mine is on its last legs mileage-wise.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I just had to reply to this, as I have a 2002 Maserati Cambio Corsa coupe that needed a clutch replacement at 11,000 miles. This was the norm for this new model from Maserati, which shared some of the Architecture of the 430 Ferrari-problem was that Ferrari did not share the computer programming for the F1 Transmission that was identical in both cars. As a result, the Maseratighurus did a terrible job of programming the transaxle and these cars ate clutches. By MY2004 they fixed the problem and one could purchase an upgrade from Maserati for ~$10,000.

When my clutch started to fail @ 9,000 miles, I parked it for several years, ( I drove it occasionally up to 11,000 miles until it slipped so much I couldn't drive it). Life intervened and I did not want to shell out $6,000 for a new clutch and a new $10,000 computer for a car that ain't worth much. (in spite of its beauty and brutal power)

Formula Dynamics reversed engineered the computer and offered the computer upgrade for $1,200 more or less. So I took the car to Craig Nelson in Portland. He replaced the clutch and all of the relevant sensors, bearings etc. and wired in the new FD computer. The car now has 30,000 miles on it and it is running great.

The moral of the story: Be happy that the simple machines will last forever. If you can get 100,000 miles out of an Alfa Romeo clutch don't worry, be happy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It all depends on how it's driven
130K to 150 k is not unheard of 75K mA
If you need to pull the trany for any reason, $200 to $400 for a complete clutch kit is a good idea

·
Registered
556 Posts
When I was a kid in the late /70's I burned out the clutch in my '68n Volvo 122. Since then I have never replaced a clutch. Other Volvo's hundreds of thousands of miles, Fiero 120,000 then a deer hit the car, 1980 Maserati Merak 54,000 miles and then sold it, 1995 Mitsubishi Mirage 328,000 miles etc. etc. I don't see why Alfa's should be different their all basically made by the same manufacturers.
I think aA LOT depends on how many people drive the car, if you are the sole driver the clutch and other mechanical parts wear into the way you drive them, (just my theory).

·
Premium Member
15,415 Posts
I remember when my mechanic told me about a spider driver who was just leaving the shop with a new clutch in his car, that he would be back in 6 months for another one, regular as clock work, as he revved the engine at 6000 rpm as he slowly drove down the driveway. However, most others have no problem making the clutch last at least 125k miles if it is not abused.

An 81 GTV6 had a pooped out clutch at 30k miles when I bought it used.

The clutch in my 64 Giulia Sprint GT lasted ~150k miles, IIRC.

The clutch in the 78 Alfetta sedan had 180k miles on it when we sold it, still good.

My 164S has 189K miles on it now and the original clutch still withstands a mild drag race with another car, as I found out today. I'm hoping to make 200k miles on it, then change it, just because. I've double clutched the car almost the entire time I've bought the car since 94 with 40k miles on it.

Our Milano has it's original clutch at 110k miles, feels fine, even with having stinked it up climbing up from the west to the top of that serpentine Lombard Street in SF with a fully loaded car on a trip. Smelly climb, that.

The 94LS had to have it's clutch replaced at 60k miles when I bought it, the PO having cooked it. This one should last at least 150k miles or more I reckon.

Bottom line, just depends on how the car is driven, and doesn't mean it can't be driven fast, just that is not a dragster, the clutch will not take it, nor will it take a lot of high rpm slipping at slow speeds, as the guy with the 6 month clutch spider did.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I've been amazed by how long the stock replacement clutch (doubtful it is original) has lasted in my turbo spider- even through track days and autocross launches on wide sticky tires. Waiting for it to go any day, but it just keeps on going.

I've actually never had to replace a clutch in over 10 years of exclusively driving manual transmission cars. If you don't abuse them, they tend to last.

·
Registered
930 Posts
personally I think its not the clutch brand or manufacturer as much its the driver...I started driving in 1961...have only had two clutches go out (both in cars I bought used and had much previous owners miles...the first was a 58 Morris Minor, lost clutch in Rome 1969...took 14 days then to get one from England...not many british cars in Italy!...other was a Ford Taunus GT , happened in Sweden..) Ive driven Volvos, 122,242, Laplanders etc, w hundreds of thousands of miles on them original clutches, same for Opel Kadett, Opel GTs.....my Alfa has 120k plus orig clutch...I think its just based on how you drive....

I say that, and maybe jinx myself now...LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts