Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This clutch came out of an 87 Bosch Spider. A friend bought it as a non-running project, sitting since 2004, we knew there was some clutch issue. He got the engine running, then yesterday we pulled the trans out.

Note the throwout bearing has forced itself fully into the clutch diaphragm spring fingers. Four or five fingers are broken off. It's like it's friction-welded in there now. Clutch has a date of 1994, we're trying to figure out what happened. Clutch just a bad one? Or TO bearing was hitting fingers wrong and wore through? I've never seen this failure before. Clutch disk and flywheel are fine, though we'll put in a whole new assembly.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Andrew,

I've seen that before. If the throw out bearing locks up. Then its just metal rubbing on metal and it heats up fairly quickly. It usually makes a lot of noise once the bearing has locked up.

·
Super Moderator
10,634 Posts
I've seen that before. If the throw out bearing locks up. Then its just metal rubbing on metal and it heats up fairly quickly. It usually makes a lot of noise once the bearing has locked up.
I haven't seen this before, but agree that Jim G's theory sounds right.

Note that the backside of the TO bearing looks munged up - if the bearing froze, the TO fork would have to fight the rotation of the bearing.

So it's probably a good idea to inspect the TO fork to see if it got mangled too. Might need to replace the fork and the time to do it is while things are apart.

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure, will do. Trans is at APE getting rebuilt; had bad front and rear bearings. This is a friend's car, not mine.
Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts