Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front brake calipers are on the leading edge of the disc, while the rear calipers are on the trailing edge. Alfa engineers seem to have thought out everything - anyone know why this was done?

Not essential information but something I've been curious about.

David O'D
Laguna CA

·
Registered
1978 Spider
343 Posts
maybe placement of weight/balance?

The fronts are likely because of steering linkage. Rears maybe due to trailing arms or other suspension part clearance? Without going home and staring at my car I can't really fathom any more specific reasoning

·
Registered
610 Posts
Placing the front calipers on the leading (front) part of the wheel assemble makes more air flow to cool the caliper and disk for more efficiently. It is will known that the forward brakes does most of the braking in normal driving conditions. This would also be true if driving in reverse. i.e. the rear brakes do most of the work. It's a well know (but sometimes hidden from the history of A.L.F.A., fact that some, in the early years of Alfa production corporate big wigs, the guys that knew that racing success meant more sales, where known to spend big money to enter these time trials in reverse. A lot of big named drivers started out this way. (Including that guy from Argentina) These were known as "Reverse Time Trials". (Here after will be refereed to as "RTT" in this document ) Many years ago one of the Alfa Romeo big shots, famous for winning a large number of these events, was upset because he was suddenly loosing a number of time trial events. While sneaking around the some of his competitors transport trailers one night, he lucked out in that one of the cars had a rear wheel removed. Suddenly (he called this his "Eureka" moment. Some say he was being over dramatic when he told his story, but what the hell he was a big shot, right? (Big shots do that some times.) Suddenly he knew why he had suddenly been taken down to number 7 in the international RTT rankings. These guys were ingeniously placing the rear calipers at the, what would normally be, the rear of the wheel assembly. He could see that this made sense. The air was cooling the calipers when they were doing the most work in the RTT events. So he took upon himself to get this "state of the art technology" into the Alfa Romeo product line. Unknown to him at the time there were "Homologation issues to deal with here. (Here to for the word "Homologation" will be referred to as simply "****" ) Big shots never worry about **** issues, that is for the working class to deal with. During the **** process it was disclosed that the competitors had not taken the time to go through the **** process with their rear brake change and they were stripped of all their wins in all the past RTT events. Thusly the hero of our story was given the first place standings in all the RTT records he had so rightly earned. (A lot of trophies had to have the names crossed out and his name ingaved over the crossed out name. A little messy but that's what he wanted.) The change was made in the production line for all Alfa Romeo cars. Due to the bureaucracy traditions of Italy (they have had a large number of governments in just the last few years.) this change can still be see in all the Alfa Romeo made since this early time in it's history to this very day.

Your asking now "who was this hero in our story". I have been sworn to secrecy but I can tell you that our hero went on to make a name for himself in the sports car industry. I can disclose that it has something to do with a horse standing on it's rear legs. (Now isn't that a coincidence.)

NB: In the above story " **** " is the first 4 letters of the word Homologation.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
this standing horse guy then thought, nah, I'll change them around just to confuse the folks at alfa
:)
ferrari brakes.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
You were late. This should have been posted on April 1...

Placing the front calipers on the leading (front) part of the wheel assemble makes more air flow to cool the caliper and disk for more efficiently. It is will known that the forward brakes does most of the braking in normal driving conditions. This would also be true if driving in reverse. i.e. the rear brakes do most of the work. It's a well know (but sometimes hidden from the history of A.L.F.A., fact that some, in the early years of Alfa production corporate big wigs, the guys that knew that racing success meant more sales, where known to spend big money to enter these time trials in reverse. A lot of big named drivers started out this way. (Including that guy from Argentina) These were known as "Reverse Time Trials". (Here after will be refereed to as "RTT" in this document ) Many years ago one of the Alfa Romeo big shots, famous for winning a large number of these events, was upset because he was suddenly loosing a number of time trial events. While sneaking around the some of his competitors transport trailers one night, he lucked out in that one of the cars had a rear wheel removed. Suddenly (he called this his "Eureka" moment. Some say he was being over dramatic when he told his story, but what the hell he was a big shot, right? (Big shots do that some times.) Suddenly he knew why he had suddenly been taken down to number 7 in the international RTT rankings. These guys were ingeniously placing the rear calipers at the, what would normally be, the rear of the wheel assembly. He could see that this made sense. The air was cooling the calipers when they were doing the most work in the RTT events. So he took upon himself to get this "state of the art technology" into the Alfa Romeo product line. Unknown to him at the time there were "Homologation issues to deal with here. (Here to for the word "Homologation" will be referred to as simply "*" ) Big shots never worry about * issues, that is for the working class to deal with. During the ** process it was disclosed that the competitors had not taken the time to go through the ** process with their rear brake change and they were stripped of all their wins in all the past RTT events. Thusly the hero of our story was given the first place standings in all the RTT records he had so rightly earned. (A lot of trophies had to have the names crossed out and his name ingaved over the crossed out name. A little messy but that's what he wanted.) The change was made in the production line for all Alfa Romeo cars. Due to the bureaucracy traditions of Italy (they have had a large number of governments in just the last few years.) this change can still be see in all the Alfa Romeo made since this early time in it's history to this very day.

Your asking now "who was this hero in our story". I have been sworn to secrecy but I can tell you that our hero went on to make a name for himself in the sports car industry. I can disclose that it has something to do with a horse standing on it's rear legs. (Now isn't that a coincidence.)

NB: In the above story " **** " is the first 4 letters of the word Homologation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts