Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 76 spider and going through the car to get the bugs out. One big bug is my heater / defroster blower is not working. When I switch it in the indicator light does come on( on low only ) but no fan. I have removed the side panels on the console but getting that blower assembly out looks nasty. Any suggestions ? I wish I could reach the fan blades somehow and try to spray some electrical cleaner in there before I start major surgery. Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
do a search on the spider forum- this has been discussed many times, and threads will even show nice pictures. You will need to yank it, clean it, do resistance/voltage checks, etc.

·
Administrator
18,123 Posts
The heater's blower motor sits at the very bottom of the unit. Any leaks (coolant or rain water) will thus get the motor wet and cause rust.

The shop manual instructions to R/R the heater unit start with 'remove center console & dash'. That is not as daunting as it may sound but it might be possible to get the bottom half of the heater unit out (where the motor sits) without removing the whole unit. See: S3 Heater Fan Removal

First thing to try is to use pencil to reach in from the right side of the heater unit with the console control set for 'floor' and see if you can get the fan to spin. If a few nudges get it to move then try switching on the blower motor and hope it works. If still no joy check the electrical connections at the left side/rear. I think the dash light will come on even if the wires at the unit are not connected.

·
Registered
1988 Alfa Romeo Graduate
62 Posts
The heater's blower motor sits at the very bottom of the unit. Any leaks (coolant or rain water) will thus get the motor wet and cause rust.

The shop manual instructions to R/R the heater unit start with 'remove center console & dash'. That is not as daunting as it may sound but it might be possible to get the bottom half of the heater unit out (where the motor sits) without removing the whole unit. See: S3 Heater Fan Removal

First thing to try is to use pencil to reach in from the right side of the heater unit with the console control set for 'floor' and see if you can get the fan to spin. If a few nudges get it to move then try switching on the blower motor and hope it works. If still no joy check the electrical connections at the left side/rear. I think the dash light will come on even if the wires at the unit are not connected.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. My blower fan on my '88 graduate did not work when I purchased the car the other day (my impression was he drove it only on nice sunny days). I checked the voltages and all was well, reached in the lower vent with my fingers and found the blower blade and started spinning it. After about 3 spins it started going. Now works on low and high speed. I let it run for about 15 min.

I feel that I should spray some "lubricant" up in there, on the off chance that it hits the right spot. Any suggestions? Point it where?

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts