Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all..

A question no doubt asked several times but what is the best way to restore the speedo and rev counts binnacles back to factory look?

send to a paint shop for rebuking? or repaint my self? but what product to use?

cheers..

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
HI all..

A question no doubt asked several times but what is the best way to restore the speedo and rev counts binnacles back to factory look?

send to a paint shop for rebuking? or repaint my self? but what product to use?

cheers..
What's a binacle? I thought it was something on a ship.

·
Administrator
17,056 Posts
What shape are they in now? Is the paint worn off or just dirty?

If dirty, plain old soap & water can make them look much better. The textured surface holds a lot of crud.

If they need re-painting you will need 'wrinkle paint'. It can be done at home with spray cans. But practice first. Paint thickness, distance sprayed and curing temperatures all affect the wrinkle amount.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thanks for the thoughtful reply.. I guess they may benefit from soap and water, I will give it a try... they have a few chips but nothing major. they just looking faded? I'll try the soap first... Would it be normal crinkle paint? in Matt black?

What shape are they in now? Is the paint worn off or just dirty?

If dirty, plain old soap & water can make them look much better. The textured surface holds a lot of crud.

If they need re-painting you will need 'wrinkle paint'. It can be done at home with spray cans. But practice first. Paint thickness, distance sprayed and curing temperatures all affect the wrinkle amount.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Have you considered trying to find a good set from a parts car? Mine look brand new in comparison, and my car is not a cream puff by any stretch of the imagination.

You'll get a factory finish with a used set, and the time/labor trade is probably very favorable.

But if you want a project...that sounds like something that could eat as much time as you want.

And for what it's worth:

A binnacle is a waist-high case or stand on the deck of a ship, generally mounted in front of the helmsman, in which navigational instruments are placed for easy and quick reference as well as to protect the delicate instruments. Its traditional purpose was to hold the ship's magnetic compass, mounted in gimbals to keep it level while the ship pitched and rolled. A binnacle may be subdivided into sections and its contents typically include one or more compasses and an oil lamp or other light source. Other devices such as a sand timer for estimating speed may have been stored in the binnacle as well.

-Graciously provided by our lord masters at wikipedia​

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've had a look for a used set but they all seem to have various degrees of chips on them! If indeed I could find a used pair I would buy them. Keep searching i suppose!

I've seen several which have been restored but they look wrong.. either to glossy black or they don't have the crinkle....

Have you considered trying to find a good set from a parts car? Mine look brand new in comparison, and my car is not a cream puff by any stretch of the imagination.

You'll get a factory finish with a used set, and the time/labor trade is probably very favorable.

But if you want a project...that sounds like something that could eat as much time as you want.

And for what it's worth:

A binnacle is a waist-high case or stand on the deck of a ship, generally mounted in front of the helmsman, in which navigational instruments are placed for easy and quick reference as well as to protect the delicate instruments. Its traditional purpose was to hold the ship's magnetic compass, mounted in gimbals to keep it level while the ship pitched and rolled. A binnacle may be subdivided into sections and its contents typically include one or more compasses and an oil lamp or other light source. Other devices such as a sand timer for estimating speed may have been stored in the binnacle as well.

-Graciously provided by our lord masters at wikipedia​

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh, no crinkle paint, it will look like you did it yourself and you'll probably regret it.

If the issue is fading with maybe a few minor chips and such, I'd just paint it with regular semi flat black paint, what you want is to bring it back to life rather than give it a whole new look, which the homeowner crinkle black will probably do.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You can improve the results of using wrinkle paint yourself with a little judicious use of a heat gun or hair dryer. The problem with doing your own wrinkle finish repaints is that the parts which do not get direct sunlight during the paint cureing process do not wrinkle as much as the top or outer surfaces. Some careful use of a heat gun on the shady sides to the part during the cureing process can compensate for the lack of sunlight on the shady surfaces.

This from past experience on Giulietta dash boards.

Robert

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
I believe they are called "Pods"....
I agree no Wrinkle paint, just a good cleaning and maybe a light dusting with a flat black spray.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If your pods are too far gone and have no other option, I have used crinkle paint with great success on my Fiat's valve cover. Had it sandblasted and then ran it through the dishwasher (wait until "She Who Must Be Obeyed" is away...). A few coats of crinkle paint and then in the oven for 20-30 min. for the crinkle to happen and be even. I'm quite happy with the result!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Actualy, once they are glass beaded, the best way is to put them in the oven at 350 for about 15 min before painting, that way, the paint does its off gassing much better and the wrinkle is very uniform. VHT wrinkle black is the best. I have used it many times.

Comes out looking very very good OR you can get them powder coated with a black wrinkle paint, I have done this also on a lot of restoration work that I do. That is the very best way to do them. 20 min preheat, 3 min to blow thw powder on, another 20 min of baking and then 20-30 min cooling down time and you can install them right away, looks as professional as you can get.

Thanks,

Rick Stephenson

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Rick... sounds like a great plan for me to try out!

Actualy, once they are glass beaded, the best way is to put them in the oven at 350 for about 15 min before painting, that way, the paint does its off gassing much better and the wrinkle is very uniform. VHT wrinkle black is the best. I have used it many times.

Comes out looking very very good OR you can get them powder coated with a black wrinkle paint, I have done this also on a lot of restoration work that I do. That is the very best way to do them. 20 min preheat, 3 min to blow thw powder on, another 20 min of baking and then 20-30 min cooling down time and you can install them right away, looks as professional as you can get.

Thanks,

Rick Stephenson

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
over here we call them Eistüten (Ice cream cones)....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts