Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The auction section of the April issue of Hemming's Sports and Exotic Car features a 1986 Veloce in average condition (#3) which was offered at the recent Leake Car Auction in Dallas.

Top bid was $4,250 which did not meet reserve. Average selling price was listed as $12,000.

To be fair, none of the 12 European cars featured in the magazine had top bids any where near their average selling price.

A 1991 Rolls Royce (#+2) with an average selling price of $42,000 had a top bid of $16,000. A 1995 Ferrari 348 (#1) had a top bid of $31,000 (avg $50,000). Neither met reserve. The writer said that the Ferrari was in "fantastic" condition and was nearly indistinguishable from new.

·
Registered
700 Posts
It's the economy.

Though I don't own one, I went to a Ferrari club of Denver dinner last night. All I heard was about how prices for high end used cars were down, while Ferrari is not dropping prices on new ones. I was told that 10 year old 355 Ferraris were selling for $35 to $40 thousand, which they felt was an absolute steal.

Too bad I don't have those funds hanging around....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,548 Posts
yeah, my Dad used to fly P-51's amoung other things and he used to say he wished he could afford the spark plugs for one and even if I could buy a Ferrari bout all I could do would be to look at it:) his favorite was the F-86 btw, B-17's from Henderson Field.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I enjoy watching the Mecum auctions of TV, but the only thing American buyers seem to want these days are the 60's muscle cars. High end antiques and European cars don't ever seem to bring their worth. Of course, Mecum is NOT the proper venue for selling such cars. I saw a truely grand 1908 Buick receive a high bid of only $18,000 (the seller wisely refused to sell at that price) but nice old Dodge Darts and such bring absurd prices. It takes all kinds, I suppose.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
....1908 Buick.....old Dodge Darts...It takes all kinds, I suppose.
That would be the difference between an aging man trying to re~live his glory days of youth by getting some car his parents or freind had that he got his first handy in which he's lusted after ever since because of that memory vs a true collector of rare or antique artifacts gathered for thier exquisite artfulness and asthetic appeal, singularity amongst many, or as a tangible investment.

One thinks with his dink, the other doesn't.
Usually the dink vs any other actual sensibilites wins out when there's finally enough money to buy any old hobag it wants and the wife won't stop it 'cause it keeps things at home. Yeah, things may be rough, but at least she knows where it's sticking itself.

Ironically the real dink is the one who collects solely to posess, but who won't share or show his aquisitions, but instead keeps them cloistered like so many nuns and mearly buffs them once in a while with soft virgin wool and ignorantly high thread count cloth in the vauge hope that they'll fufill his fantasy and give him a handy yet because they are too pure to be the real hussies he wants them to be so is too afraid it'll despoil thier reputation and thus value to actually allow it to carry out.

Thus concludes your deep thought for the day :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Agreed. A friend who recently attended Barrett Jackson said that most of the high price auctions were "won by the little head" if you know what I mean.

Interesting to see the price escalation of 60's muscle cars, concurrent with the gradual decline of 30's & 40's classics. I maintain that we buy cars later in life that we pined for in high school and college - but could not then afford. This trend seems to concur with that assertion.

But cars are for driving. Jay Leno - uber car guy - has a huge warehouse of unbelievable cars and a staff who maintains them. But before you chastise him, he drives a different one (even the Stanley steamer) daily! :) Dickson

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
""an aging man trying to re~live his glory days of youth by getting some car his parents or freind had --- which he's lusted after ever since""

Indeed. Most of the Mecum buyers are indeed fat old skinners who you would think would know better. Their fat wives are right there beside them when they sign the bid form. Of course I am a fat old skinner myself, but I lusted after the first E-Type Jag I saw while sitting at a bus stop at UT Knoxville. It stopped at the light in front of the bus stop and I was hopelessly in love at first sight. This was in 1963 and E-Types were still in such short supply that buyers bought and sold their place on the waiting list at the dealerships. The first Tonight Show host, Jack Parr, was given a silver E-Type coupe by his wife and daughter and showed it off on the Tonight Show. As he said, he mentioned on the show that he wanted one but there was a long wait. Some Italian Mafisio type from New Jersey called him up and said, "you want a Jag, I get you a Jag." Things like that no longer happen in this day and time.

Robert

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My 1986 Spider IS the car I wanted back in 1986 but couldn't afford. I'm living the dream, and driving my dream car everyday! Of course, I like the Muscle Cars, about every time I cruise by the gas station- I like my Alfa even more...even if its only worth $14,000. A good friend has a new Corvette which he drives to and from work each day for only $300/month in insurance payments. My last car payment wasn't even $250/month. His Corvette may be faster, but really all I pay on the Alfa is my time to maintain and clean it. I'll take that any day.

·
Push hard and live
10,195 Posts
Your 86 is worth "only $14,000"???? Buy mine and sell it for that and get more than double your money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts