Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the trick about getting the covers back on? What a pain in the neck. I'm sure it just goes back as it came out but I'm getting pretty tired of trying. Thinking there might be a special way to do this (not likely but what the heck) I checked my CarDisc, which conveniently will not play in either my Mac or my PC today - apparently there is some error which was not there last time I used it. It's hot and humid today, and I'll soon be switching to beers in the garage, and it's not likely to go together any better after that starts.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Beer is a good start, yes it is pain until you leave it off and get water in the distributor. It helps to have long thin arms and small double jointed hands (not me).

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Both the inside dust plate and the top cap of the distributor have line up notches in them which align with a lug sticking up on one side of the distrubutor body. If you don't get them ligned up not only will the cap NOT fit, but if you force it on anyway it may sit crooked and the rotor will impact one of the contacts inside the cap and something will break all to hell when you turn the engine over.

Stop, take a close look at everything, and then seat the cap correctly and snap on the latch which is closest to the engine first. There is more room to snap on the outside latch if you snap it on last. I am assuming you have removed the cooling expansion tank first to give yourself more room to work on the distributor.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
On the old 1300 Spiders, there is no inside plate in their Lucal distributors. I once had some antifreeze leak into my distributor without me knowing it. When the engine was cold, the antifreeze inside the distributor would condense and collect in the bottom of the distributor below the advance weights and springs. The engine would start right up and when it came up to operating temperature the heat would vaporize the antifreeze, allowing it to rise up and collect in the distributor cap. Then the spark would short out and the engine would die and never restart - until the engine cooled down and the antifreeze condensed and collected back under the advance weights and springs. Took a while to figure THAT one out! Solution was to pull the distributor, drain out the antifreeze, and dry out the distributor and cap. In a case like that, an inside cover would have been a great help. Maybe that it why they started adding the inside cover in the first place. All the later Lucas distributors have the inside cover plate, and so do Bosch and just about every make of distributor made since the 50's -60's.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

1 - 5 of 5 Posts