Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone make clarity about a Giulietta Spider '61 red color codes??
I found a lot od documentation... :(:(
someones call this: Farina Red AR304V... but on the PPG web I'vent found this color??:mad:
some one indicates this color with the code AR501?? but it seems to be the after '65 alfa red??:mad:
other one says thata it is the AR303 color code???:mad:

please...help my giulietta to found her original dress...;)

·
Super Moderator
3,632 Posts
If that's a '61 Spider she is a 10103, not a 1495.....

Farina red is an orangy sort of red, Porsche used a similar colour called Guards red in the '70's,

501 is Bertone Rich Racing Rosso used on the Sprints - not the Spiders.

Painting opinions are like *rseholes, everybody has a different one.

Basically: the old paint formulations cannot be re-created - WHY ??

Because the old pigments don't exist anymore, technology has moved on & paint moved with it. The old pigments were crude in comparison to modern paint, so they are not made that way any more - sorry, but it's fact, you're stuck with a more modern version of the stuff your car was originally painted with.....

The best option is to find a portion of the original colour under the dash or hidden under a bracket, have it scanned & pick the closest modern-car colour to your swatch. Heresy........ not really, you end up with a colour that is 99% of the original one, but with a traceable & re-mixable formulation, should you need a "touch-up".

Or check out loads of pictures and decide what colour combination you like the most, Grigio Grafite & red / black & red / Blue & black with blue piping.

My one '57 was originally AR 901 Nero, when I restore her, she'll be black - which black ???, well the one I choose will be gloss black & I'll call it 901.

The other '57 was light grey - no codes from Archivio Storico, so I guess I'll use the light blue-grey used by VW Commercial vehicles - it's a stunning colour & should look great on a 750 Sprint - anyone care to argue ?

Bottom line - it's your car, choose your colour & it will be the best choice you ever make & everyone will compliment you on your good taste

Ciao
Greig

P.s There are enough red ones........ did I say that out loud ??

Uncle Rick is rubbing off on me.......

·
Registered
10 Posts
If that's a '61 Spider she is a 10103, not a 1495.....

Farina red is an orangy sort of red, Porsche used a similar colour called Guards red in the '70's,

501 is Bertone Rich Racing Rosso used on the Sprints - not the Spiders.

Painting opinions are like *rseholes, everybody has a different one.

Basically: the old paint formulations cannot be re-created - WHY ??

Because the old pigments don't exist anymore, technology has moved on & paint moved with it. The old pigments were crude in comparison to modern paint, so they are not made that way any more - sorry, but it's fact, you're stuck with a more modern version of the stuff your car was originally painted with.....

The best option is to find a portion of the original colour under the dash or hidden under a bracket, have it scanned & pick the closest modern-car colour to your swatch. Heresy........ not really, you end up with a colour that is 99% of the original one, but with a traceable & re-mixable formulation, should you need a "touch-up".

Or check out loads of pictures and decide what colour combination you like the most, Grigio Grafite & red / black & red / Blue & black with blue piping.

My one '57 was originally AR 901 Nero, when I restore her, she'll be black - which black ???, well the one I choose will be gloss black & I'll call it 901.

The other '57 was light grey - no codes from Archivio Storico, so I guess I'll use the light blue-grey used by VW Commercial vehicles - it's a stunning colour & should look great on a 750 Sprint - anyone care to argue ?

Bottom line - it's your car, choose your colour & it will be the best choice you ever make & everyone will compliment you on your good taste

Ciao
Greig

P.s There are enough red ones........ did I say that out loud ??

Uncle Rick is rubbing off on me.......
I am having some trouble with colours also for my new 1961 Spider. It is a 101.03, but I can't seem to find any info on the colors available. I know the original color (as informed by Alfa Romeo's Historic Center), but I want to know the options from that model. My car is red and, since most of my Alfas were kept in original color, and most of them are red, I decided not to keep the red in this one.
But, besides from Farina Red and that light blue, I can't seem to find any other original colour from the 1961 101.03 model.
Anyone has this info or something?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
I am having some trouble with colours also for my new 1961 Spider. It is a 101.03, but I can't seem to find any info on the colors available. I know the original color (as informed by Alfa Romeo's Historic Center), but I want to know the options from that model. My car is red and, since most of my Alfas were kept in original color, and most of them are red, I decided not to keep the red in this one.
But, besides from Farina Red and that light blue, I can't seem to find any other original colour from the 1961 101.03 model.
Anyone has this info or something?

Thanks in advance!
Alfa TSB 0.00.024 from 1961 explains what colors were available on what model (see this post). Take the last 3 digits of the "A.R. standard" number and put "AR" in front of it and you get the AR paint code (e.g. 3536.20xxx becomes AR-xxx), then look up this code with paint manufacturers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alfa TSB 0.00.024 from 1961 explains what colors were available on what model (see this post). Take the last 3 digits of the "A.R. standard" number and put "AR" in front of it and you get the AR paint code (e.g. 3536.20xxx becomes AR-xxx), then look up this code with paint manufacturers.
Thank you very much.
Another question, if I may: what colors were available for the interior of the 1961 101.03?

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts