Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took a bit but I have the old trans out of my 83 spider. I went to switch the bell housing to the new trans and some oil flowed freely from the front of the trans. Could this not leak from between the trans and bell housing, (it wasn't) but should there be a gasket or some sealant in between?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Sealant, NO gasket. What is the story of the 5 speed gearbox you are going to install? Used? Rebuilt?

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
There is no gasket but there is a sealant.

You can see a brownish material when I removed the bellhouising.

IMG_8807.jpg

I used Loctite 574 to re-seal. It cures in the absence of air. No leaks since, knock on wood.

IMG_8863.jpg

By they way, now is the time to replace the front seal located in the bellhousing. as it can only be accessed from the back of the bellhousing.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And on the sealant. It is a used trans, sworn to be good, ( but I'm realistic and hopeful but also know it may be no better than the one I took out) learning experience either way.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Am I supposed toube the clutch fork pivot with anything?

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
And on the sealant. It is a used trans, sworn to be good, ( but I'm realistic and hopeful but also know it may be no better than the one I took out) learning experience either way.
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Am I supposed toube the clutch fork pivot with anything?
NP.

I put a bit of grease on the pivot.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ Vintre. How did you remove the front seal? It looks like I can do it by destroying it on the way out, but I'm worried about marring the aluminum bell housing.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
And on the sealant. It is a used trans, sworn to be good, ( but I'm realistic and hopeful but also know it may be no better than the one I took out)
Thats why I asked. I have a bunch of used Alfa 5 speeds but you never really know what you have untill you install one and test drive it, or dismantle it for a visual inspection. A lot of work in either case.

I bought the last one from a BB member who claimed to have re-syncroed it but then sold his Alfa before ever installing it. No one would pay his asking price because there was no way to easily verify his claims. I finally bought it for the price of the reputed new parts he installed. But still I may have been shafted at that. I have never installed it due the the risk it may turn out to be nothing but a box of rocks. My own transmission is OK other than the typical 2nd gear "crunch". But since I put in Redline non slippery and learned to double clutch fairly well, I can get along pretty well with what I currently have.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To vf31rhill, - I just finished installing it and took it on a short test drive, about 10 miles some town and some highway. The trans seems to be pretty good, better than my old one, but if I can beat the syncros if I shift too fast. I have to hit a 3/2 downshift just right for it not to crunch, (so I've given up doing much downshifting), but no crunch if I shift deliberately going up through the gears. I don't have to shift slow or double clutch but I can't go too fast either.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
To vf31rhill, - I just finished installing it and took it on a short test drive, about 10 miles some town and some highway. The trans seems to be pretty good, better than my old one, but if I can beat the syncros if I shift too fast. I have to hit a 3/2 downshift just right for it not to crunch, (so I've given up doing much downshifting), but no crunch if I shift deliberately going up through the gears. I don't have to shift slow or double clutch but I can't go too fast either.
Glad to hear you got her back on the road.

Sorry I missed your question on the seal. Did you get that seal changed?

Vin

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, it was actually easy. But the circle clips on the clutch slave drove me nuts. Went inside had s cup of coffee calmed down and then got 'em done.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Yup, it was actually easy. But the circle clips on the clutch slave drove me nuts. Went inside had s cup of coffee calmed down and then got 'em done.
LOL! only because I have been there!

Bought a good pair of circlip pliers after that.

Vin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts