Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 Spider has a mystery problem. It loses power while going down the road and then just dies. I have to pull off to the side of the road for safety reasons. It will start right up every time. It might happen 2 or 3 times a day, or it might go for 4 or 5 days and never happen. My mechanic has looked at the ignition switch, coil, all the electics and fuel related parts. Several parts have been replaced. I would really like to have some clue as to what is causing this problem. My life is being consumed by this nagging problem. Please helpl.

·
Administrator
17,613 Posts
Make note of the tachometer's behavior when the engine loses power & dies. If the tach dies first and then you lose power it is likely an ignition fault. If the tach seems to measure rpm even as the engine dies then it is likely a fuel supply problem. The tach signal comes from the coil - if the ignition stops then so will the tach. But if fuel is lacking the ignition (and thus the tach) will continue until it dies from lack of fuel.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Try keeping the gas tank 100% full and see if the problem repeats itself. If not, there's a small rubber hose in the fuel pickup system that cracks and causes fuel starvation once the fuel level drops below the cracked rubber hose.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Does it buck intermittently while gong "down"? A loose or corroded ignition system fuse? Loose or failing trigger wire (I had one down to 2 strands). I h an ignition system just went through an ignition system meltdown and had to check and/or R&R everything. I had a problem like this on a Spica injected car long ago when the fuse block (the little 2-fuse one under the dash) was burning up and failing causi9ng the Spica pump to intermittently operate. It got better when it cooled down a bit then went bad. Personally, I abhor those little ceramic fuseblocks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it does not buck when going down. I just loses power and I coast to a stop. The car will always start right back up. It may happen again in 20 minutes or 2 days. I never gives a warning. Thanks for you info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts