Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm deep in a water-pump-ectomy, and the car is currently winning.

I have the two bottom studs off the pump and it still won't rotate out.

I tried my impact gun on the nut to remove the crank pulley, and it's not budging.

Any other tricks to removing a water pump from a SPICA car? Remove all the studs? Ugh.

Thanks,
Ian

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Argh, the long stud is too short to get 2 nuts on it. I'm going to try the compressor again, any other suggestions? Do they make skinny metric nuts?

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
There is a tool to lock the flywheel (just remove the tin flywheel cover), then use the longest breaker bar you can find on the crank pulley nut.
If you can't find the tool locally, I can loan you mine. Wouldn't be there til next week though.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
Or grab the stud with vise grips. If it comes out, replace it. If you ruin it without getting it out, oops, bad idea.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's my fear with the vice grips,and why I'm trying to turn it between the engine and pump.

Is your flywheel lock too specific to Alfas, or can I pick one up locally?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
After successfully pulling all the other water-pump studs, I personally ruined one of those long studs... I triple nutted it to get some wrench purchase and I soaked it with penetrating oil for three days trying to get it started. Result @£|#*^%!! First stripped and then broken stud. I would strongly recommend the breaker-bar crank pulley removal. I got lucky and enough of the stud was left to weld a bar on, but it cost $$ for my Alfa mechanic to remove it. If it had broken flush with the block.....shudder....

With the breaker bar method crank pulley removal method. even if you did break something it would be easier to fix than that long stud broken off in the block.

FWIW

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
The old Fred DiMatteo method was to get a breaker bar on the crank pulley nut, rest the breaker bar on the right side of the engine compartment (maybe with some cloth wrapped block of wood between it and whatever piece of engine compartment it happens to come in contact with), then pop the started and get the crank to break itself loose from the crank pulley nut. Pull the coil wire, because you don't want the engine to start.

Disclaimer, I've never been brave enough to attempt this method.

bs

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brian I think this is your old engine (from Mortimer II). Did you ever have the crank nut off? There is no lock tab on it that I can see at least.

I might have to try Fred's method, I'm running out of options short of towing it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Brian I think this is your old engine (from Mortimer II). Did you ever have the crank nut off? There is no lock tab on it that I can see at least.

I might have to try Fred's method, I'm running out of options short of towing it somewhere.
Never had the crank nut off, all I did on that motor was install an injection pump.

If there is no lock tab, then somebody might have used Lock Tite? If that's the case, have you tried heating the nut?

bs

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
The generic flywheel locks require access to the edge of the flywheel, with the trans off or engine out of the car. This is a factory tool that jams between the flyweel teeth (looks like a comb) and the bottom of the bellhousing, attaches to two of the 6mm tin cover holes. Basically it's a very sophisticated crowbar.

Andrew

·
Registered
265 Posts
Ian:

They do make thin nuts for shear (vs. tension) applications. What size are they, M6 x 1.0? We have an Ace Hardware here in Salem with a wonderful range of fasteners. I'll be there today, do you want me to see if they have any?

Bob Stewart
'73 GTV

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
Usually the tin flywheel cover is put on with thin 6 x 1.0 nuts, for whatever reason. Doesn't mean yours still is Ian, but might be worth a look.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody! That last message should have sent last night.

I attacked the stud with the vice grips again and even removed the distributor to give the wrench more "swing". Voila, it came out.

Getting them all back in was a PITA but it's back on! Heading out to O'Reily's for coolant and hose clamps now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts