Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo spider
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider not running and found that although the car is tired and needs work, it is very original to the point of having the grill guard still installed. Of course it still has the original Spica fuel injection system (a large part of why it wasn't running) that once set up and repairs were made ran rather well with a basic tune. My original idea was to remove the fuel injection system and replace with carburetors but considering the age, originality and increasing values of these cars, decided to give the fuel injection a fair shake. I know that the Spica injection system was created to meet EPA requirements in the USA but I now hear that the injection system is equivalent or superior to carburetors. My question is this, after Alfa Romeo went through the trouble and research & development of the Spica system why didn't they offer it in other markets? Porsche offered the 911 with a mechanical injection system "E", BMW offered a mechanical injection system "TII", Peugeot and Triumph offered it as well. Most of these systems were thought to be an upgrade to the basic carburetor systems. Funny thing was that some were not offered in the USA due to emission restrictions. My understanding was that the system was begrudgingly created and they didn't offer any information for fear of breaking EPA laws. They did offer variations on the Montreal and other models, but not on the production twin cam engine outside of the USA. Does anyone know what Alfa Romeo reasoning was?

Registered
You pose a good question. I am no authority on the SPICA injection system, nor have I owned a SPICA Alfa. But to get to your specific question, I have chatted with well qualified people who were in the loop and had good Alfa contacts at the time of the introduction of that system in the United States.
Alfa Romeo had to come up with a system that would function and meet the EPA emissions limits and in fact missed a production year in our market, 1968, during development of such a system. The SPICA system was originally used on light trucks as I understand, but was of a size that would adapt well to the 105 series cars. So Alfa Romeo made the expedient decision to test and adapt those pumps and that system to their cars for the USA market. They succeeded, but they realized that the SPICA system was not friendly to tinkering as many people like to do with carburetors. Indeed, the interior and cam mechanism of the SPICA injection pump is quite ingenious, and functions exactly like it was designed to do. But Alfa knew that unless they restricted service to qualified and trained dealerships, they were going to have problems with the cars in the field. Unfortunately that is what happened , and owners in some instances were not trained to start the cars correctly, or tried other starting techniques.
SPICA subsequently got a bad rap for being unreliable and difficult to service. And we also have to remember that there is a wide disparity in weather and climate conditions in North America as compared to many parts of Italy.
Fortunately, Alfa and some very good USA based Alfa reps persisted, and independent experts emerged with Wes Ingram being foremost among them. Today, the old SPICA injection system is no longer the mystery it was at first. I am not an Alfa racer per se, but I have heard from several well-qualified sources who do race that a well tuned SPICA system will generally outperform Weber carburetors on a 2 liter or 1750 Nord engine.
I hope this provides some insight, without some of the Alfa crticism that sometimes emerges when we start to discuss SPICA.
Just for the record, I do adore the sight of a couple of Weber DCOEs hanging on the side of an Alfa four banger! 馃榿

Registered
My question is this, after Alfa Romeo went through the trouble and research & development of the Spica system why didn't they offer it in other markets?
Cost.

There are claims that the Spica pumps cost was the same cost as the engine itself and that carburetors were more cost effective and budget friendlier than Spica.

They did offer variations on the Montreal and other models, but not on the production twin cam engine outside of the USA.
Canada also recieved Spica cars like the US. Only difference was that between 1969 to 1971, the Canadian market had both Carbureted and Spica versions of each model. Then from 1972 to 1981 you can only get Spica.

Reactions: alfaloco and Lokki

Premium Member
1971 Spider Veloce 1750
Cost.

There are claims that the Spica pumps cost was the same cost as the engine itself and that carburetors were more cost effective and budget friendlier than Spica.

Canada also recieved Spica cars like the US. Only difference was that between 1969 to 1971, the Canadian market had both Carbureted and Spica versions of each model. Then from 1972 to 1981 you can only get Spica.
Just curious - if both SPICA and Carbureted cars were offered in Canada in the same year, does anyone know or have a way to find out if there was a price difference between the two offerings?

Registered
I can't speak to the sticker prices, Lokki, but like GTA Alfa says the cars were brought into Canada both ways since it was the new American EPA regulations that caused Alfa to adapt the SPICA system here. A good friend of ours in AROC still has a 1968 model year 1750 Spider he in fact bought in Canada, and IIRC it has Webers.

Premium Member
All I know I switched to Webers, added low pressure fuel pump and filter king regulator on my 74 gtv it runs great starts in 20 degree with a few pumps of the accelerator .only drawback gas 鉀 mileage is down but i don't mind that The spica pump on my car needs to be rebuild so for now Webers it is

1 - 8 of 8 Posts