Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to embark on converting my 78 Spider, that has 38,000 miles, from Spica to Weber 40 DCOE carbs. My preference is to purchase a gently used complete conversion package....such as air box, euro manifold etc. Let me know what you have in decent condition.

Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect! Funny, I purchased my Spider from a chap in Carmel, suburb of Indianapolis! Drove it back to Canada!

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
I suggest that you try to find a Euro setup and avoid the Spica manifold + adapters system. It will be more work to install - you will have to change out the gas pedal, but it will be worth it in the long run. Also, I suggest that you try to get Webers. Dellorto's are good carbs but spares and knowledge are less easy to find.

You should also consider changing cams if you have the original US spec ones - they don't work well with carbs. You will get better performance and gas mileage with Euro cams.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ed. Thanks for the words of advice! I have been doing research and while Dellorto are excellent carbs; I know the familarity and supply of Webers parts is greater! So, Webers it is! Also, I was looking at the conversion kits from IAP & Centerline and find them quite expensive, relative to the value of our cars! (While Centerline provides the Euro manifold, neither kit includes air cleaners! So, really these conversion kits are not complete!) What did you use?

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
My intake manifold and airbox came from a 1970 Canadian (Euro spec) spider that I parted out. I have also bought these parts from Highwood Alfa in the UK. They sometimes have used parts for sale. The gas pedal from a series 3 spider will work with a Euro manifold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts