Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks John, they didn't seem adjustable as they feel loose when not screwed all the way home. Does make me wonder why they protrude so far but I'm not going to monkey with them.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Well ive got these ‘dry fit’ and Im not sure what my expectations should be with regards to how fully they should shut. As you might guess I can see slivers of light through the plates when they are shut. Any adjustments so far as I can tell would come from fiddling, for lack of better word. I wonder what the right approach is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If its like the carbs the plate will move around a little bit when the shaft screws are loose allowing you to get the plate seated all the way around in the bore. Tighten them up with the throttle closed.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just pulled the throttle bodies that were on the car to install the rebuilt ones and noticed the rebuilt ones don't have this arm - which may be a stop?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
@r-mm - great write-up...thanks for doing it. I am in the midst of the same work but I am unfamiliar with the fastener in the picture below. How did you extract it to get the throttle spindle out? Seems like a delicate fastener, so guessing driving it out is not the way.

Appreciate any guidance.

IMG_5295.JPG

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Its a roll pin and tapping it out with a drift is the way to go. One or two assertive but not abusive whacks will do it.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Thanks for that. Better to ask before whacking on something and breaking it.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
Couple adds to this great thread.

1. Once you pull the cam out of the throttle body you may have a bearing corroded in the throttle body. It was far too small for any puller I had, so a long piece of threaded rod (or non-threaded for that matter) that fit through the throttle body cam holes but still catches the inner race of the stuck bearing is a good way to get it out. Just a couple pops of the hammer and it will come out.

2. Getting the corroded bearing from the other side off the cam is a similar challenge. Note that the bearing (and the end piece pictured below) need to be pushed off the near end as there is a shoulder on the cam that the bearing race rests up against.

Then press the cam out of the end piece (can prob do in a vise, too):

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
And a last observation. When installing the butterflies back in the throttle bodies note they do have an orientation. If they aren't sealing well, you probably have them in backward, upside down...whatever. And press the butterfly closed and allow it it self-center in the throat before tightening the screws. That will enable a better seal.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts