Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the Carb. and F.I. forum as well:

I started going throught the AROO Spica tuning procedure and ran into a snag right out of the box...

With a hot engine-
The gap at the lever was considerably more than .019" (actually about 1/4"). The instructions say that the screw under the TA should be set to a depth of 27mm (1973). If I adjust the screw to that depth, the gap at the lever is about 1/8", still a long way from .019".

Which way shold I go? Should I ignore the 27mm depth and back the screw out to get the .019" gap at the lever, or go for the 27mm depth and ignore the .019" spec?

I suppose the 3rd option is that I am missing something in this procedure.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
470 Posts
OK, maybe somebody else will chime in but I think you should set it so you have the .019 with the motor temp at 175 degrees. Dont worry about the 27mm depth as long as you get close to .019 gap. I have done this by removing the small bracket on the TA tube and using the actual actuator itself pushed into the pump and held in place with a screw driver whilst taking the .019 measurement. This method should compensate for any small differences in wear and tear on the actuator itself.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just finished doing a test of my TA and it's shot for sure-it only extends 23mm when the bulb is immersed in boiling water-not enough to lean the mixture when the engine is hot. One of my AROC pals in Tulsa has a Shankle Sure Start that he's offering to give me. Since I'm chronically broke it may be the best option.
Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well the test is supposed to be done in 175 degree water, not boiling. But I am fairly sure that Wes Ingram told me that if you have a cold extension of 6mm that it is a good TA.
Whatever you do, dont destroy that old TA, send it to Wes if youre going that route.

·
Premium Member
22,250 Posts
If you have 4mm of travel on the adjustment screw in the pump you might be able to get fully lean when hot. If screw adjustment allows you to get to a .019" gap hot, you're good. Cold starting might be difficult, but hot running will likely be OK.
Not recommending that worn-out TAs is the way to go, but if you can't afford a new one, do what you can to get by.
Andrew

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I can't get the .019 when hot-no way. I actually have the TA boxed and ready to send to Wes. It's just that this other option presented itself.

·
Premium Member
22,250 Posts
My own experience with Sure Starts is they "creep" and don't hold settings. I've heard people say they can be made to work OK though.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Broke ?? Cheap TA fix

Broke like me? Make a "manual TA" for about $1.87 and 1 hr of time.
  • Cut a piece of metal to match the TA - making a plate. 1/8" alum works OK for me, 'cause that is what I had
  • Get a 6mm x about 2" bolt and 2 nyloc nuts from your junk bucket. It should have a phillips head or allen head. Size and thread is not important I just keep all stuff I use on the car matching to existing diameters and pitch.
  • Tap a hole in center of the plate for the bolt
  • Drill 2 holes in the plate where it will screw into the SPICA pump replacing the TA
  • Screw in the bolt into the plate, adjusting its length to max with 1 nyloc and to min with the other nyloc. That means 1 nut is on top of the plate and 1 below it. These nuts will provide a stop at max and min depth of a TA.
    Look for the 2 screws that held in the TA with and attach your "manual TA to the SPICA pump"
When the car is cold and difficult to start, open the hood, reach in with a screwdriver or allen key and adjust it up in the cold position.
Or most of the time just leave it adjusted down, in the warm run position and the car will run and start just fine.
This device is also great when adjusting the magic .019 gap. Attach it, check the gap. remove it and adjust the screw that this thing is pushing down on. put it back in and check the gap again, and again, and again till you get it right.
I have 2 Sure Starts and it is too much trouble hooking it up under the dash so I made up this thing.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
Getting a sure start hooked up to the throttle lever on the GTV dash is a pita. Taking the instrument pod out helps a lot. I've got one and used it until I got Wes to rebuild my T/A and have been delighted with the results. Car will fire right up even thought it's 22 degrees out now and run like it's hot, not that i would run it like it was hot when it's cold but it behaves.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I sent my core to Wes yesterday after he emailed me saying that he had sent me a rebuilt TA-fast service. I'm going to Tulsa in a couple of hours to an AROC event planning meeting. One of my pals has a Sure Start for me. With Paul's instructions above, I'll have about every option covered.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,560 Posts
We rebuilt my T/A and I couldn't be happier with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts