Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just finishing the teardown of my 67 Sprint GT Veloce and removed what I believe to be the original Spica shocks from the car. They are red and have a decal of a race helmet with the Alfa crest and Spica on them.

Are these shocks rebuildable? If so, is there a guy who specializes in rebuilding and restoring them, or should they be considered a consumed piece and replaced with some Konis?

·
Registered
959 Posts
That is a good question. FWIW: Here's what I found out when I talked to Koni about rebuilding my (not original) shocks. $150.00 per shock. I found new ones online for $88+shipping. Is there a serial number on the case that you can cross reference to Spica?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Old thread but for what its worth....... I have just installed OEM Spica shocks on my 73 GTV. My Bilstein shocks went bad so my Alfa mechanic put the Spica ones on. Apparently they are original to the car from the factory. He said if you like them keep them or buy some Koni's. So far I like them a lot. A better ride with no change that I can notice (yet) in cornering. I still have the Bilsteins in the back.
My understanding is that they are NOT rebuild able.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Never EVER changed a Spica Shock!! They are the best shock ever made for ALFA Romeos. Never had one go BAD! Had to replace bushings, but that's it. Clean them off paint them if you wish, but you should leave them on.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you go the replacement route, Classic Alfa sells shocks that are very similar to the OEM Spica ones and reasonably priced, though they do not have the decals:

SU011/1 REAR SHOCK ABSORBER/DAMPER - STANDARD - Classic Alfa

SU010/1 FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER/DAMPER - STANDARD - Classic Alfa
I took a look at Classic Alfa's write up on the shock. It says that they are the "correct original style" What ever the He&* that means.... There is nothing said about the "quality" of the shocks.

Anyone out there have any experience with these. Are they worth looking into.
How long do they last, feel, etc. ?
At $200 total are they worth the install labor?

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
A Spica Shock is a VERY A-Typical!! I have 4 cars with them, Pumpkin, Spider, 84 GTV-6 and Da Beata. They are all over 30 years old. Spica shocks do not go bad. There is NO other Shock built like this one. In my 30+ years of owning and conversing with fellow ALFA mechanics, changing these shocks is Stupid and they NEVER recommended it . Change the bushings and don't change the shocks, your ride will never be the same. I've gone through the suspension in the 82 & 84, changed the rubber bushings and they handle awesome. The Pumpkin needs attention and Da Beata is awesome, but will not give it the attention it requires.

samakijoe I HATE RED CARS!!

DACARZ.jpg

·
Registered
440 Posts
alfasrule said:

samakijoe I HATE RED CARS!!

My mother taught me to never "hate" anyone or anything unless it or they had done something really really bad to me. And then you must forgive them (or it as in this case). It's not good to hold it in. So, please tell us what that red Alfa did to you to make you have these very strong feelings toward them. :crying2:

I know it will make you feel so much better in the long run if you tell us all about it..0:)

You will thank me for it...:smile2:

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I took a look at Classic Alfa's write up on the shock. It says that they are the "correct original style" What ever the He&* that means.... There is nothing said about the "quality" of the shocks.

Anyone out there have any experience with these. Are they worth looking into.
How long do they last, feel, etc. ?
At $200 total are they worth the install labor?
samakijoe, I put those Classic Alfa ones on my Giulia TI last year. They seemed a little stiff, especially in the rear. I am running the stock springs and 175R14 tires and the back end seemed to be jittery. To be fair, it could be the conical diff-to-trunion bushings or something else and the roads around here are pretty rough. I have an extra pair of Koni red front shocks laying around that I plan to install and will also switch the rears to Koni reds and change out he conical bushings. Classic Alfa was not sure about the damping rates of their OE style shocks vs. Koni Reds but I have the Konis on my Spider and like them well enough for my needs. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone right to the Koni Reds. But that's of course just one data point and YMMV.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Time and Time again I am reminded that all is right with the (Alfa) world when you stick to Alfa parts. They just did it right. I have like 4 stories to prove this.
Anyway, so far I am really happy with the Spica shocks. Good to know that they are built to last.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Great to hear Spicas are both well suited and pretty indestructible. Tho I presume we are talking here about their suitability for standard springs - that if you cut your springs, or install stiffer aftermarket ones, that the Spica items may no longer keep up???

It's academic for me, as a PO has installed Koni Reds in mine, tho the springs are standard.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
In as much I would agree in general one can tell whether a shock absorber is performing correctly by just driving and "feeling it" as it were....I believe there must be a better way (scientific way) of knowing. In the Alfa Factory manual "Rear Axle-Suspension-Driveshaft Manual" ....such a test apparatus is shown. Moreover, it states that testing on such an apparatus is the correct(recommended) method of determining whether the shock is good or not.

View attachment shock testing p31.pdf

Has anyone ever seen anything like this in any repair or testing facility?

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
alfasrule said: samakijoe I HATE RED CARS!!
No offence I just don't want to own a RED car! It's a personal thing, not a HATE thing, Sorry! Cop Magnets!

Spica Shock are very different from conventional shocks so Testing them in this manner is not Good!
They function very differently, they are a "suspension component", not a PIECE of JUNK Shock you have
to change every 60K miles to hide BAD Engineering and CHEAP components.

They are proactive instead of reactive.

SPICA RULES!!

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
sounds like an orange comb-over to me

alfasrule said: samakijoe I HATE RED CARS!!
No offence I just don't want to own a RED car! It's a personal thing, not a HATE thing, Sorry! Cop Magnets!

Spica Shock are very different from conventional shocks so Testing them in this manner is not Good!
They function very differently, they are a "suspension component", not a PIECE of JUNK Shock you have
to change every 60K miles to hide BAD Engineering and CHEAP components.

They are proactive instead of reactive.

SPICA RULES!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
alfasrule said:
"No offence I just don't want to own a RED car! It's a personal thing, not a HATE thing, Sorry! Cop Magnets!"

Hey man don't apologize to me it's your mother you should be apologizing to.

On a different note: I had a date with a young lady many years ago. I was driving a red Milano at the time. She thought it was a VW Passat four door or some such thing. She made it very clear to me that she did not date men who drove a red car. (there was no second date...) I think I lucked out.:wink2:

Strange how memories come back to you after so many years just by the mention of a few words.

Yes, I know, what does all this have to do with shocks. Hell if I know.. I just had some free time after a couple of hot toddies...

NB: And No, I have idea what "cop Magnets" means...
(I think I'm getting old..) :frown2:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Great to hear Spicas are both well suited and pretty indestructible. Tho I presume we are talking here about their suitability for standard springs - that if you cut your springs, or install stiffer aftermarket ones, that the Spica items may no longer keep up???./QUOTE]

This is something I'd like to get opinions on as well. My car has standard springs and SPICA shocks. If I ever decide to lower it, do I have to change the dampers as well? So far though, the original suits me pretty well, even if the rear could be a bit lower.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
My impression is that with stock shocks and shortened springs the shock ends up compressed further into its working range simply because the shorter spring shortens the distance between the chassis and the lower suspension arm. At this deeper point in its working range, the shock is designed to give a more substantial resistance. This translates into much harsher reactions from the shock - a more jarring ride. Just my opinion but its based on personal experience. I think shocks need to be changed when spring length changes so there is a better match in characteristics.

·
Registered
243 Posts
SPICA RULES!!
while I agree in principle w that statement, I think important to not get carried away. Spica shocks are no different in general design than any other hydraulic shock. maybe better in some details and better made than most... but certainly nothing significantly different that would preclude normal use/maintenance/testing.
a shock dyno is a common and fundamental tool to shock development, testing, building, repair. hell, any decent race shop has at least one. I am sure SPICA had zillions (well, maybe less) of them.
alfa used them in developing the shock packages for their cars - as did their vendors in making them for production.
to look at factory service manual calling for & showing proper use of a shock dyno in maintenance - and then saying that the production shocks can't be properly tested that way does not make any sense at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts