Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Failure to have the lock nut on the cold start solenoid sufficiently locked down caused the cold start solenoid to back completely out of the Spica injector over time. Now all my adjustments are totally screwed up.

I finally got it back in (just guessing on the setting with the adjustment height reference now lost), but now when the car ('78 Alfetta) starts (with great difficulty when it is cold--and it only runs at an idle), the throttle locks and can't be advanced. When it dies it can be advanced again (that is, you can't push the gas pedal when it is running but can when it is off).

Have I already damaged something in the SPICA injector?

Where can I get a dummy thermostat tool (tool n. A.4.0159)? These used to be abailable for rental from some of the parts suppliers but I no longer see them.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Having the throttle with some mechanical interference internal to the pump doesn't sound good at all. Sounds like you might have to take the pump off the engine, open the inspection plate and see what could be the problem. If the CSS came completely out, a linkage may have come undone or it's grossly maladjusted from your re-installation. The distance from the top of the pump to the bottom of the "can" on my pump is very small, maybe only .25". You'll need a very thin wrench (you can grind a junk wrench to the required thinness) to tighten the CSS locknut. I would guess that it's probably not too serious to fix, but it may have to come off the engine to see what's wrong.

Do you have Wes Ingram's SPICA manual? If not, you should get it. IAP sells it. Also, check out Wes' site www.wesingram.com

A dummy TA is easy to fabricate - just file down a flange like the regular TA and drill it, then tack weld or epoxy a nut. Then just use a regular bolt and locknut to set the 29mm length.

If you have the pump off the engine, it's probably worth removing the TA as well and test it in a pan of hot water for specification.

The CSS does have a specified standard height from the top of the pump to the bottom of the can, however, I don't have access to my SPICA manual right now. The following link has a SPICA tune-up procedure that also covers CSS adjustment. However, if you've got a bad link in the pump, I probably won't help.

I've got a dummy TA that I can loan you if you need it. I've also got a spare pump from a '77 if you need it for troubleshooting.

http://www.alfaclub.org/techstff/tunespca.htm

When I get to my car and SPICA manual next Tues PM and , I can take a measurementof the exact adjustment on my pump, check the manual, and send it to you as a reference point for adjustment. Send me a private message if I can be of any more help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roadtrip: Thanks for the info. Printed the Alfa Club info and probably will order the other--thanks for the link. Did not know about either. I have a spare trashed Spica pump to use as a reference. That was the only way I was able to the the Cold Start Injector back in--its attachment had slipped to one side on the shaft down in the pump was apparently binding there, and the tolerances are so thin it would not slip on the shaft.

I was hoping not to hear the "R" word (remove), as I fought for a long time getting this one on some years back (threw a con rod on the old one) but I may have to. Never thought of fabricating one. I guess I might do that, though if you can find yours I would be happy to rent it from you.

Thanks for all the information. I'll cross my fingers until I get the right adjustments on it and hope that cures the jammed throttle while running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts