Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 74 GTV got a rebuilt head with bigger valves many years ago. Then a few years later I had Wes Ingram rebuild my Spica pump and got two of his performance camshafts in conjunction with that. 4 rebuilt injectors too. I had my local long time Alfa expert install the pump, cams, and injectors. He tuned it up and it ran great.

Now we are a few years later, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to have him go through the Spica procedure again for good measure. I know that it is commonly thought that once the Spica system is set up correctly, especially by an expert, that it should hold it's settings and run excellently for years and years. I wonder though, because all these parts were rebuilt as new and installed. Do they settle in and need an adjustment after a period of time?

It does run a bit rich and fouls the plugs every so often. I don't know if it's running rich or burning oil, as it does use some oil.

Thanks,

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
It shouldn't foul the plugs. Check your T/A. It may be getting weak and not extending fully. With the engine fully warm, check that the pump gap is .019" or less.

Are the plug deposits sooty or shiny?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plug #s 3 and 4 have a bent post. Didn't think Beru plugs needed to be indexed since the posts don't seem to stick out that far on the edge. Plug #1 has one of the lower posts bent. These lower ones don't seem to have much effect as they are very far from the center and that plug burns well. Probably just a limp home post if the upper ones widen too far.

Anyway, I have corrected that, but is still is not my issue, as I've run other plugs before and do get some fouling. I am still wondering if a Spica retune after a rebuilt pump and new cams is worth it. Do these parts settle in and need to be re adjusted?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts