Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have nothing else to call it and the archives are full so here is another for the files. Last October I bought a '73 Spider on BaT.. low usage Thank Goodness .. like 750 miles in the last 7 years.. Cut to the chase....Burbled excessively and occassional backfire....car ran great with no smoke and torque and power were very good....All the reads on this was to fix the solenoids and TA and be done with it.. the nut of the matter is GAS IN THE OIL.. My car tested at >5% gas in the oil ( after 200 miles on the oil) according to Blackstone labs in Ft. Wayne... I threw in the towel. Called Wes for a new pump last Fall ... 10 month waiting list... You all must have heard this...Somewhere in May I had an opening in Wes's schedule. I could get a replacement pump and send mine in later... DONE ..installed yesterday by a qualified Mech ( 20 years doing it) ..all the tools and set up etc... $800.. DONE!! Car drove 90 miles home and runs like it is supposed to.. Moral is it was worth EVERY penny to have a qualified old school mechanic do it...CHEAP ..if he had done many many before... a steep learning curve for us newbies....AND I'l never have to do it again!

If you have a whiff of gas on your dipstick, analyze it and do the right thing. Save your engine. My 20W50 oils that was 200 miles old analyzed at 5 W 30 and was going south. Hope this helps. My shop had a long list of engine rebuilds from people who refused to accept the reality of the situation. Old pumps do wear out and band aids won't work miracles on your engine bearings. Wes is a great guy to deal with. Do it.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
not only a great pump technical guru, but Wes is one of the nicest people in Alfaland. A real gentleman. Now that I think of it, we have a lot of gentlemen in Alfaland.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not only a great pump technical guru, but Wes is one of the nicest people in Alfaland. A real gentleman. Now that I think of it, we have a lot of gentlemen in Alfaland.
My hammer isn't so gentle... it's ok ....gotta get someone's attention.

·
Registered
660 Posts
@DIVOlandtralee, I concur on all points. As an Alfa tech who has tuned, or tried to tune many dozens of Spica pumps through the years, there is nothing like setting up a freshly rebuilt (Ingram) pump. Every small adjustment makes a noticeable change, and you can get it just right! Too bad Wes can't make it to the Convention this year. I hear that you will be there. Perhaps we can meet at the ONLINE FORUMS MEMBER MEET-UP at the Doublewide Grille on Thursday.
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/off-topic-talk/682588-alfabb-forum-member-meet-up.html

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was Karen and Calvin's beer caddy in the parking lot at Detroit. York rings a bell. We met. Look forward to seeing you. No AR car ..just me and Linda who is really really my better half.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Spica CSI

Upon further review..............before I sent my core to Wes, I opened up the oil filter cover on the pump out of curiosity.. I love to solve crime scenes. All my suspicions were confirmed. Car was owned 11 years by the seller and faithfully changed the ENGINE oil annually as receipts had confirmed but lo there were never any receipts for the Spica filter! The independent shop in CT, well qualified to work on "Fereign cars" never touched that filter.. either out of not being informed or blew it off as a sparingly driven car seasonal car and didn't matter. The photos tell the tale. It's easy to see why the pump was worn out when you connect the dots. The goo on the filter in the second photo wasn't fully captured by the camera. I think this confirms the cause of death.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
There have been many posts about Spica and my understanding is that an overly rich setting can cause gas in your oil no?I'm asking this as have a Spica GTV and pump rebuilt in 2014 by Wes and has been running rich and gas smell on dip stick so does this mean another rebuild?What is the consensus?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
There have been many posts about Spica and my understanding is that an overly rich setting can cause gas in your oil no?I'm asking this as have a Spica GTV and pump rebuilt in 2014 by Wes and has been running rich and gas smell on dip stick so does this mean another rebuild?What is the consensus?
I'd certainly go through the adjustment procedure to the letter before I suspected it needed a rebuild.

Reactions: divotandtralee

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
A grossly rich mixture can cause that. Why have you allowed the engine to run rich without adjusting it? I would recommend changing the oil and both the main and SPICA oil filters. Then find out the reason for the over rich mixture. My first usual suspect would be the T/A.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
A grossly rich mixture can cause that. Why have you allowed the engine to run rich without adjusting it? I would recommend changing the oil and both the main and SPICA oil filters. Then find out the reason for the over rich mixture. My first usual suspect would be the T/A.
Get that gassy oil outta there!!!!!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Purchased car in 2017 and have put maybe 700 miles on it.Car in storage over winter and when picked it up backfiring on deceleration and black coming out of tail pipe on start up. Read posts on abb and suggestion was over rich condition.Checked TA and seems to be working to spec.Interesting that seller had changed oil and filter before pick up so wonder if had been an issue earlier.Just wondering about pump as problem or do I change oil/filter and continue to check for gas smell?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
But, you say it's running fine now. What changed?

Get that oil outta there.

Reactions: divotandtralee

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But, you say it's running fine now. What changed?

Get that oil outta there.
Yes a bit confusing.. I would say pump rebuild on a "new' pump is a highly remote situation. To my way of thinking, if it was running rich and that is cured and the pump is rebuilt you have cut off the source of added gas to the oil and gas should vaporize off hot oil without a replenishment source of rich running or a wayward pump. If you want to accelerate the process i would just drain the oil and move on. ll; will be fine. My car might have been running rich but all the arrows pointed at the pump as the culprit. I' too old to futze around looking for solutions on a pump that was clearly not maintained properly. Some dogs need to be put to sleep. In my case, I am happy with my decision.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Went through Wes's tune up procedure.Pump timing was 180 degrees out also but that wouldn't have caused the issue.So thinking that had been set up rich from get go and for some reason more obvious this spring when picked car up.So will recharge oil and filter and see if smell goes away with burn off just wondering how long do you watch/wait for that to happen?

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would say an oil change will bear out the fruits of your labor. The oil should stay clean on the dipstick for as long as you run the car between oil changes. In my case the oil was BLACK and runny like water after a few hundred miles. None of my other cars showed that kind of oil on a dip stick even with thousands of miles on the oil between oil changes..Sure it won't drain off as new oil but it should be clear enough to see the stick under the oil film on the stick. Mine didn't.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts