Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally completed my engine overhaul and this week turned the key. She sprang right to life, but as quickly dumped over a gallon of engine oil onto my driveway. Shut off the engine within 1 minute and saw the leak is coming from around the lower area of the SPICA pump. It would seem the most likely candidate for the problem is the pump base to engine block (I did use a new O-ring though) or the SPICA oil filter housing since those are the seals which get oil pressure? Correct me if I'm wrong. I also somewhat suspect the SPICA pump to pump base gasket as it looked like it was weeping a little after I filled the engine with oil (though not very quickly) but I don't see how that one could be an issue since the oil passage in that gasket is not under pressure.

I could not locate these gaskets from any vendors so I had to make my own out of Garlock 3000. Did I perhaps use inappropriate gasket material?

·
Premium Member
25,742 Posts
You get all four nuts tight on the pump base to the front cover? You said new o-ring, you fully clean off the old gasket, and use a new gasket there too? It has both gasket and o-ring.
Yes, if any schmutz is left from the oil filter cover gasket, new gasket will not seal. Clean carefully.
Did you split the pump from the base? It has a complicated gasket.
Finally, the lip seal for the pump "crankshaft" can leak if it gets old and dry, major leak. It'll be coming down the back side of the pulley.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
7,470 Posts
The oil seal directly behind the pulley -as Andrew says — will dump a ton of oil in no time. That seal is 17-40-8.5 or 17-40-7 — either will be fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts