Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'79 Spider 2000. I just resolved engine timing issues due to a faulty timing chain tensioner. Now my 6 motn old Wes Ingram SPICA is off it's timing. Is the only way to adjust it taking the belt off? Thanks. BTW. Crank is on "I" mark, distributor coming up on #4. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
With the Red Dot on the pulley from Wes you should have the motor at P - TDC/compression for #1.

If the motor is at I and pointing to #4 in the distributor, that's for timing with the factory mark on the Spica pulley.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I just got the same message from Wes hisself. When I can get back to it, I'll set the crank at TDC "p" rather than "I" and wrestle that SPICA belt on.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
hello.

This is out of the Alfa Maintenance Manual on Spica Pump Timing;
1. remove the pump drive belt cover.
2. turn the crankshaft by pushing the car in gear, slowly to inspect belt condition.
3. turn the crankshaft again to bring the reference mark "I" inline with the pointer. Remove #1 spark plug and check that the exhaust valve is open. (if closed, turn crankshaft one more revolution)
4. check that the reference mark on the splined pulley and the pointer on the pump body are aligned.
5. If pump is out of time; remove belt, line up reference marks of the Injection Pump and re-fit the drive belt by rotating the pulley to engage the nearest spline.

This will give you the proper Spica Pump timing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just too add to Chiefs procedure I have attached the page from the manual with pictures and Yoda like translation.

The belt goes on much easier than it comes off; no wrestling involved.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Please note that the above linked timing instruction is from an early Alfa Spica manual (#1388 or #1470). It lists pump timing at 80* ATDC. Alfa then changed the 69 pump timing during the production run to 70* BTDC (manual #1470 R1). All L4 Spica pumps from this point on thru 1981 get timed to 70* BTDC.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The 80 ATDC timing in that Alfa manual is NO LONGER VALID for ANY Spica engine. Like Jim said, that was changed very early in the production run.

Alfa ordered that the 80 ATDC timing mark on the crankshaft pulleys (that were marked as such) be expunged and re-marked at 70 BTDC.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I'm pretty darn sure I have all the timing marks lined up. With crank pointer on P (I can see the top of the piston in #1 spark plug hole), cam markers lined up with lobes facing away from each other, Distributor pointing to #1 spark plug wire, SPICA "red dot" (Wes Ingram's timing mark after 2012) pointing to SPICA marker.

I was just now having some success by advancing the distributor, until my battery died. It's charging now.

PS. It's interesting that the 1979 Spider Veloce Owner's Manual always shows the pulley marks with P and F switched.
file:///C:/Users/Brian%20Brown/Pictures/2014-09-08/003.JPG

Also, BTW, I didn't use this as a guide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Spica Pump timing

Hi. Just curious, if the crank timing is TDC on #1 and you line up the Spica pump marks and install the belt, the pump timing will be 70 degrees retarded.

Can you tell me about this Red dot that Wes Ingram told you about? I do not know of it so I do not know where that Red dot timing mark is.

I've timed a many a Spice pump with the stock timing for our customers and re-timed some for racing, depending on engine prep. Please, tell me about this Red dot. Thanks Chief

·
Push hard and live
9,655 Posts
James,

Your comment above seems at odds with several others. The comments tell us that the original mark would result in a pump timing of 80 degrees ATDC, and that the later revision would result in 70 BTDC. Your note says using the factory mark gives 70 ATDC, which matches neither of the earlier described specs.

Confusion reigns.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My apologies for the older manual reference. I should have referenced the attached.

I am curious as to why you were directed to time the pump at "P" instead of "I". And even more curious as to whether or not it worked.

Attachments

• Image uploading. Refresh page to view
    80.6 KB Views: 148

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
...I am curious as to why you were directed to time the pump at "P" instead of "I". And even more curious as to whether or not it worked.
I'm not sure because I got my pump about 15 years ago and it doesn't have the mark but it sounds as though Wes just added a red mark so that the pump could be timed at the same time you were setting cams rather than having to go through the task rotating it to 'I' and then setting the pump separately. I imagine the end result is the same unless Wes wanted the pump timing to be slightly different from factory but most likely just for convenience.

·
Administrator
450 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kcabpilot, I think you're right. He simply moved the SPICA pulley marker to a point where people would most likely have their crank turned to, "P". As far as how it works...for me it doesn't. Still won't run. BUT, I've tried it at "I" as well to luck. And to "I" and "P" marks with #4 at TDC. No Luck. Basically the engine runs the same, regardless.... rough and won't idle. Advancing the distributor helped a little but not much.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
... As far as how it works...for me it doesn't. Still won't run. BUT, I've tried it at "I" as well to luck. And to "I" and "P" marks with #4 at TDC. No Luck...
Whoa, slow down. First off the RED dot at 'P' with #1 at TDC is the same thing as 'I' with #4 at TDC so there is no way you could try "both"

Just follow, step by step, what Wes has listed and if it doesn't run correctly then the cause is due to something else. There is no reason to experiment with other settings in desperation. Just take your time a verify for certain that you are on TDC for #1 cylinder.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts