Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I were trying to time it yesterday and we were having problems trying to do it. We looked through our manuals and we saw the marks on both the spica pulley and the crankshaft pulley. However, there was no pointer/dash as to how to line up the mark to the pointer/dash. Meanwhile, I didnt realize that I was missing the spica pump pulley cover which we assumed there was a pointer on it for timing purposes. So, I found someone local that will be sending me the cover and I asked him if there was a pointer on the cover and he said no.

So, need your expertise y'all!!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
There is no pointer for the Spica pump. Rather, there is a vertical "dash" mark on the pump housing right above the pump pulley, in the 12:00 position-straight up. You may need to wipe some solvent to remove grease and grime, then mark it as can be dark down there.

·
Premium Member
22,350 Posts
And the corresponding hash mark on the pulley is not easy to see either. Cleaning both will help.
The I mark on the crank pulley is similarly subject to hiding under rust and grease. It lines up with the water pump pointer. Note it can be 180* off if you don't follow the steps on ensuring which cycle you're on.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,350 Posts
Maybe it got left off. It's a little stamped steel goodie that bolts onto the two tach-drive bolts. You need it to set cam, ignition, and pump timing.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
sorry- upper bolt :eek:

·
Premium Member
22,350 Posts
Engine looks nice, congrats.
You appear to be missing the Spica pump bracket, and associated fuel pipe bracket, that bolts from the back of the pump to the 8mm lug at the front cover/block interface. It helps hold the pump solid, and keep the pipes from vibrating and cracking, a more common issue than you'd think.
Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts