Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Need some help to remove my SPICA pump on my 1978 Spider. I have read the past threads and have Wes' Manual. I have taken all the bolts off that are discussed but it will not budge.
Here is what I have done:
  • I removed gas hoses and pipes from the top of the SPICA pump. Removed TA.
  • I can’t get a wrench on all 4 bolts that hold the oil filter to the engine block…so I decided to leave that in place and just remove the SPICA body.
  • I took the 6 nuts off the body that attaches it to the oil filter lower section.
  • I removed the brace to the engine…one bolt on engine block and 2 on SPICA
  • I removed the 2 bolts that are on the brace by the engine mount.

That seems to be all the nuts and bolts and it should lift up off the oil filter base section…..RIGHT? It doesn’t budge as if there are more bolts somewhere. There is no wriggle to it…solid in place!

Any suggestions?

Thanks....ANDREW

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
there is one in the front as well; connects the block to the spica pump with a bracket ;

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean this bracket right. I got that off already. I am going to try to take the oil base portion off using a stubby wrench.
IMG_1104.jpg
IMG_1105.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
the belt is off I presume? Hit the pulley with a rubber mallet and it will start to come up and off

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes belt is off. I was underneath and put a wooden block against the pulley and hit the block with a hammer. Didn't do anything.....didn't want to hurt anything else by hitting too hard. I gave it a few firm hits....nothing.... :(

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
That’s all that holds it - hit a little harder with a larger (heavier) mallet

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
You took off this one correct, or took the lines off. Here are the three brackets

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pics. My brackets are a bit different. The third pic of your shows the fuel lines attached to a shared bracket. My fuel lines are attached directly to the engine block. I will try hitting the pulley again and will try to take the base off with the stubby wrench I just purchased.

Thanks for the assistance! I will give it a fresh effort tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,302 Posts
You need that bracket — your lines are attached to the intake manifold not the block - but when you put this all back together add that bracket otherwise the fuel lines vibrate and eventually crack

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
es belt is off. I was underneath and put a wooden block against the pulley and hit the block with a hammer. Didn't do anything.....didn't want to hurt anything else by hitting too hard. I gave it a few firm hits....nothing.... :(
Looks like you've removed what's required. I would put a small metal lever (pry bar) under the pump pulley. Let the bottom of the lever rest up against the front cover and pry up on the lever. Note: The 6 studs are not straight up and own, they are angled slightly, so you want to apply the force on a similar angle. If it hasn't been removed in a while it will be a little tight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts