Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the SPICA pump off a project car today. The engine has been in warm storage for about 18 years. The pump had some oil in it and a grungy filter. I can only turn the pulley back and forth slightly (I did not apply and pressure).
I took the side cover off and the insides are very clean with some oil present; no rust at all.

I assume I should be able to turn the pump with the pulley, correct? If it is jammed, is there a method to free it up without causing any damage?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
acetone and Marvel Mystery Oil.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you just soak it in the area of the cover plate or try to get into other areas?

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I would put it in from the top so it can soak down passed the pistons.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What year Alfa are you working on? I have a complete Spica system off of a running 74 Spider I'd be willing to sell for a bargain price... My car was converted to Webers before I bought it. If interested let me know and I will send pictures and info. Fully functioning TA is included... I really don't want to part it out...

"conversation" (PM) would be good..

·
Premium Member
5,838 Posts
I would submerge the whole pump in a plastic tub with cleaning mixture. Pull it out after several hours and work the pump. Submerge again and repeat until everything moves like it should.

I would also take off all the plates. Also the pistons not only move up and down. They also move side to side with the lever movement.

Reactions: johndewaele

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim,
Acetone and MM oil was suggested - sound good?

·
Premium Member
5,838 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Yes it should work, but the close tolerances for the pump to work correctally would be destroyed by any rust build up in the pistons.

I've heard that a mixture of Acetone and ATF is the best think to use for rusty things, But what do I know?...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
If you're lucky....there may be just fuel varnish between the plunge piston and barrels (as was mentioned previously). I used lacquer thinner poured down from the outflow valves at the top and at the fuel inlet port. I would recommend removing te pump to do this task....for ease of working and to thoroughly clean out the entire pump. Of the few faulty pumps I've disassembled recently.....I was surprised how much black encrusted oil deposits were present at oil delivery passages at the lower end of plunger barrels. This stuff might work loose with a lengthy soaking of the solvents mentioned ...but maybe not. What ever you do......do attempt to turn the pulley with excessive force as plunger piston bottom end might break off at the sliding connector to the crankshaft.... FWIW.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The pump is off the car so that will make it easier. I'll get back to it in the next few days and report.

Thanks all,

John

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Email Wes and see what he recommends. After sitting with gas in it for 18 years I'm betting that the seals are shot or will be after soaking it in acetone.

The Spica pump is like a Patek Philippe watch. It is a precision instrument, a true mechanical computer. The precision is so great that if you hold one of the pump's pistons in your hand for a couple of minutes it will not fit into its cylinder until it returns to room temp. It is much better than the control drip of a carburetor.

A correctly rebuilt pump is well worth the money and truly an an improvement to your car.

- Drew

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Was that 42 minutes, 42 hours, 42 years, or since 1942???....

Just asken... ;)

Reactions: johndewaele

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are an amazing piece of equipment!

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, after soaking for 48 hours in the MMO/Acetone soup, the pump turns freely! As I turn it, or turn it back and forth, there is a light rattle. Is this normal? The pump did look nice and clean inside - no corrosion noticeable.
This pump will sit for about a year or so, would it be best to keep it well oiled?
Thanks for all the help guys!
John
PS: Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays - Please stay safe!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts