Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put my rebuilt engine back in my 78 spider. Would not start up . Everything checked out correctly with ignition and fuel line pressure.
Engine seemed to flood so removed the spark plugs . 3&4 were blackened and split from gas. 1&2 were dry and pristine.

picked up this pump from Alfa Parts Exchsnge . Larry Dickman said it came off a running car but I have my doubts now . Contacted Wes Ingram about two months ago, and he confirmed it was one of his rebuilds.

what are the trouble shooting steps. I have some ideas of what to try, but thought I’d start here.
If the gas is not getting to the cylinders is it being forced around the pistons in the pump? This is probably not a gods thing
Thanks larry

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Crack the lines where they meet the injection pump and crank, see if the fittings get wet. If not wet could be stuck check valve or broken connecting rod.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crack the lines where they meet the injection pump and crank, see if the fittings get wet. If not wet could be stuck check valve or broken connecting rod.
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. I will post here.
Question, I have an old Spica core. Are the towers on the pump where the check valves are interchangeable? will it upset the calibration..... and if the gas is not going into the injector lines , where is it going ?

Larry

·
Administrator
555 Posts
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. I will post here.
Question, I have an old Spica core. Are the towers on the pump where the check valves are interchangeable? will it upset the calibration..... and if the gas is not going into the injector lines , where is it going ?

Larry
No they are not interchangeable. They have shims underneath to manage a correct fuel amount for each cylinder.
You could try first to loosen the nuts of the injectorlines at the pump. Crank the car and see wether there is fuel coming or not. Next you can try at the intake manifold, be aware there is the highvoltge starter cable underneath. Last just interchange the fuel injectors and see what happens.

Good luck

Bernhard

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
Larry, now I understand why we haven't done the OVS deal yet..I have a feeling APE (Larry) will help defray some of your costs to get it right. .Wes might have a record of when he did it and perhaps there is a chance he can correct it with some inspection and some tweeking that wouldn't require the Full Monte treatment. Worth investigating on both ends. Fingers crossed. The Royal PITA is the in and out and in process of the whole bundle of skinned knuckles. I bleed for you. Salt in the wounds is "was from a running car"...but the Wes pedigree should have been a good sign.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I might have found what caused the problem. I drove 2 hours from San Francisco to APE to pick up another pump; however, the pump was from 1974 which is a little different, ( and it said BAD..written on the side so I gave it a pass. But Larry Dickman, might have identified the problem for me. The pump was totally cleaned on the inside and outside before I installed it.
I filled it with oil as was written in the guides . My mistake Larry Pointed out, was I should have turned the engine with the starter with the fuse for the fuel pump out. Then run the fuel pump to pressurize the lines. ( I did the reverse) . He said the injection pump pistons need a film of oil to work correctly. When I ran the fuel pump before getting oil circulating in the Spica unit the, Number 1 & 2 pistons in the pump did might not have had enough oil on them to pressurize the fuel going to the injectors. The 3&4 pump pistons were closer to the oil in the front of the pump and this might be why they worked properly.

I probably missed it, but I do not remember any thing in the Spica guides or posts that I read with the procedure for priming a clean Spica pump. Logically it makes sense, now that I think about it.

I did not have much time, today but I was able to remove the fuel line tube at the pump form the 1st cylinder I removed the fuse for the electric fuel pump engaged the stater for a few seconds, and then re-energized the fuel pump. I had a friend turn the key for me...... and fuel pulsed out of the first tower. !!

Over the weekend, I will look at the second tower to see if it is pumping, then try to start it up. I will post the results.

Larry Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts