Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a substitute for the oil vapor separator used on Spica Alfas. Yes, I know, reproduction separators are available for a price.

An Amazon search brought a lot of low priced oil separators that are really catch cans: they collect some oil and you have to empty them now and then.

But I found this one interesting.

It is available from several sources for less than $50, much less if you search Alibaba. More research has shown they are Chinese clones of a Mann device called the ProVent 200. This video explains how it works:

Interesting… the « innovative » device they describe is an exact copy of what Alfa was trying to do with the Spica oil separator over 50 years ago.

This is a detailed review of a Chinese clone:

Not the best video, but it does give a detailed « tour » of the device. The clones seem well built, and their use of a stainless steel mesh as opposed to the original Mann filter deserves some attention. Mann uses a replaceable fiber filter, which may be necessary to maintain emission performance on the intended turbo diesel applications. For our Alfas, the stainless mesh should be good enough, and has the advantage that you can clean it and reuse it.

But the damned thing is over 8 inches tall, more than 2 inches longer than Alfa’s original. On a GTV, I believe it will hit the hood. I found out the device had been shown by Paul9250 in this 2010 thread Is there a modern part to replace the oil/fuel separator? I wonder how he managed to install it?

Mann has a whole range of these separators. The ProVent 100 would fit just fine, having approximately the same dimension as our original separators.
https://oe-products.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/user_upload/kataloge/kataloge-wartungsanleitungen-mann%2Bhummel/kurbelgehauseentlueftung/MANN_HUMMEL_Crankcase_Ventilation_EN.pdf

The ProVent 100 is available here for about $100: Mann ProVent Filters

But this smaller model does not allow the same installation flexibility. The intake fitting is molded in the main body, and is available either on the left side, or behind. Neither would work on our Alfas. All I could see would be to use the version with the fitting on the back, shave off the molded brackets, and turn it 90 degrees so the fitting is on the right. A new bracket would have to be made, most likely using the top cover screws.

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I would think there are still used SPICA units sitting around in peoples garages or at APE. Try a post in “Parts for Sale or Wanted?”

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I have one that seems decent. But what I don't like is that there is no way to inspect or clean the interior. I opened one years ago ( photos were posted on an old thread, but unfortunately disappeared) and it wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yves: I had seen the Ligenfelter one years ago as well. I also thought it was pricey. I think I just might try this Chinese one. I have both an Alfetta and a GTV. The Alfettas sits lower so I think it would be fine. If it sits too high in the GTV, what about the 150? The inlet and outlet rotate +/- 70 deg. It doesn't look as good as the 100, though. For the 100, I think a bracket can be made that goes back around. Hard to explain but I've seen one before. I will take their drawing and mark it up when I get a chance.

For the tall Chinese one, the air ports are 25mm (1 in), whereas the Alfas are 19mm (3/4 in), so some adjustment would have to be made - force the hose on? The drain is also a different size. Not impossible, but have to address.

The last thing is for Spica cars with throttle bodies, there is one more nipple port. Best I can tell is that Alfa wanted air to pull through even when idling. I wonder how necessary that is.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Interesting design evolution on this part. I'm thinking that the existing Alfa unit could be modified such that the top is made removable (threaded somehow ) so as to allow access to the internals. It wouldn't take too much to design such a mod.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Here is rough drawing of a bracket using the windows snippet tool. Hard to draw, but you get the idea. I found a $27 Chinese copy of ProVent 200 on Amazon. Is the price of those ProVent ones Canadian dollars? They seem to be a Canadian company.

ovs.JPG

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stefano
That had crossed my mind. A bracket to install the device backwards. It would work.
The 150 is slimmer but almost as tall as the 200. No gain. And the Chinese haven't copied it... it ends up the most expensive.
Mann is a German company. The copies sell for $30 to $40 CDN on Amazon.ca, but I have seen some as low as $13 US on Aliexpress, shipping included (by snail-mail). They also copy the 100, but the cheapest I've seen is $45 US.

1750 (Rossano, I believe?)
The can is sheetmetal. A machinist could always make a screw-on cover and adapter that would be brazed to the body. Hmmm... I'll have to double check the size of those low priced catch cans, there may be a possible match there.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I just ordered this one, but I opted for free delivery which for this one, means April 21st. Well it is coming from China anyway. So you will all have to wait a month for my review. At $27, it certainly is not a bad try.

(if you have seen one of my recent posts, I was complaining about a $13 item. but the alternatives were not in the several $100s, and is something I can probably make for $1)

Value is a funny thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts