Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

New to Alfas and Spica with a rescue 1978 sport sedan. On cold start the engine lights off easily, and if I drive off, the idle stays high at 200-2300 rpms even at stop signs. Normal? Its basically replicating a choke?

Now if I start the car and don't drive it, the idle stays really low. if I rev it up to 2500 or so a couple times, then the idle will catch and stay up around 2k during warm up. However, if I don't do that the idle stays very low. I let it warm up that way last week just to see what would happened and ended up fouling a plug, which cleaned up after driving a bit.

Is the above ore or less normal behavior? Anything of concern? Thanks

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Not normal. A Spica injected engine should start easily and run at fast idle (approx 1500 decreasing) for a few minutes until the coolant temp reaches 175F, at which time all enrichment and fast idle is removed.

Since the car is new to you I would first suggest you do some study on the Spica system, then do an assessment, then a full tune-up. No telling how badly a previous owner "fiddled" with it. A Spica engine can actually run when it's WAY out of tune, but not optimally, of course.

Send me a PM with an email address capable of receiving some large files and I'll send you a bunch of Spica tech material/manuals, etc.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John. It definitely slows down progressively as it warms, but the not wanting to run higher unless first rev part seems off. Will PM you. We did rest the mixture as it was leaned way out to pass smog, but haven't gone through the whole set of procedures yet.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Your cold start solenoid might be sticking. Try disconnecting the wire. Might also be the distributor advance weights sticking when cold.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Read carefully and understand what you are actually doing at each step . . . . and everything must be done in lockstep order since each adjustment depends on the previous one being correct. It's not hard, but you must be disciplined about it.

Do an assessment of your system firsts however. Check that the ignition system is functioning normally. Only then can you move onto the Spica system. That includes checking for gasoline leaking into the logic section and ultimately into the engine sump, checking the Cold Start Solenoid (CSS) and Fuel Cutoff Solenoid (FCS), and the microswitch that controls the FCS.

When you get ready to reset your system, let me know and I'll loan you the tool to set the relay crank idle stop and wide-open stop screws. Just PM me your address and I'll mail it out to you. FYI, despite it's name, the idle stop screw does NOT regulate the idle speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts