Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to rebuild 73 GTV 2000 SPICA motor for spirited street car.
Looking for shop to do head work in eastern PA area?

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
There was just another discussion of this on a separate thread. Some folks tap for allen plugs; the nitriding is hard but apparently you can get through it. Norman Racing drives in the plugs then tacks a small amount of TIG overhanging the edge of the hole to keep them from backing out. They don't like tapping the hardened metal.
I just rebuild a 75/76 Spica engine that had one plug entirely gone, three plugs halfway out.
Andrew

·
Registered
169 Posts
Recommended method is tap hole and screw if you're going to remove them. Some people don't. On my crank I didn't touch them. Had a shop do thorough clean and degrease, polish journals, left plugs alone.

·
Premium Member
21,688 Posts
It can be a gamble on how your crank's internal passages are. The dead-ends (where the plugs are) an fill up with very fine sludge, backing up and blocking passages. Or if you're lucky they'll all be clear. But you don't know unless you check. One method is to shoot some WD40 from one port to the next, see if you get continuous clear passages from all the journal holes. Recall, the rod bearings and mains 2 and 4 get their entire oil supply through the crankshaft passages. Mains 1, 3, 5 get it directly from the block's oil gallery.

I have found cranks' passages quite clean, and others totally packed up that I had to poke/drill out to pass fluid. It all depends.
Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts