Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 81, "monolung" and would like to convert to the earlier individual throttle body setup. In regards to the 1750 versus 2000 manifold and throttle bodies, are they the same diameter?

Edit: Just as important, is there any other reason a 1750 setup would not work on a 2000?

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Throttle body diameters should be the same. If you have a '69 Spica setup, you may run into problems because the idle adjust on the '69 models is a part of the air cleaner box. '71 and later has the idle air mixture adjustment on top of the intake manifold. I recently made the same conversion to an '80 monofarfal engine that I put in my GTV project. Haven't fired it up yet but don't forsee any major problems. Sounds like you've already got the parts you need but I've got a coulple of spare Spica intakes if you need one.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill. Are there any drawbacks to the earlier idle control design?

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
4 screws instead of one. You have to have the '69 airbox. I think some people prefer it. I've never used one yet myself. Which Spica airbox do you have?

Thanks Bill. Are there any drawbacks to the earlier idle control design?

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None at this time. I'm just getting my ducks in a row for when I get my feet wet.

·
Premium Member
3,655 Posts
Rick,

I have several airboxes. Are you coming to the convention in Lexington?

None at this time. I'm just getting my ducks in a row for when I get my feet wet.

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
The '69 airboxes seem to bring a slight premium so I'd look for the much more plentiful '71-'79 setup. I believe Alfetta airboxes have a different snorkle so you may want to avoid those. Is this engine still in a '81 Spider? At some point you may want to upgrade the Spica injection pump as well. The '80-'81's are supposedly the most fuel stingy, '72-'74 the best. Maybe Roadtrip could confirm. I'm thinking the timing mark on the crank may be less than optimum as well. I wouldn't bother changing the pulley, just file a new notch. I've probably got the parts you need in my basement as well as a dozen other guys on the bb so let us know when you're ready to begin!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I have an 81, "monolung" and would like to convert to the earlier individual throttle body setup. In regards to the 1750 versus 2000 manifold and throttle bodies, are they the same diameter?

Edit: Just as important, is there any other reason a 1750 setup would not work on a 2000?
1750mk2 ,2000 intake manifold, TB's allthe same...; 69 intake manifold smaller

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. I have been looking at an ebay item #160590102750. It seems like a cheap way to convert if it is viable. Obviously, it would need a complete rehab. I would not be interested if the throttle bodies or manifold would be more restrictive. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have been looking at an ebay item #160590102750. It seems like a cheap way to convert if it is viable. Obviously, it would need a complete rehab. I would not be interested if the throttle bodies or manifold would be more restrictive. Any thoughts?
That's a great buy for someone that needs parts for their '69 but based on Davebert's information, I would say not what you want. This would be the version that he says is more restrictive. You can find the one you need for less than $100 so no need to jump on this one. I'll put together a later manifold with throttle bodies and airbox for $80 + shipping. You can use your existing injectors. If you wait a bit longer, you might find one cheaper on ebay or from someone on the BB cleaning their garage out.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rick,

I have several airboxes. Are you coming to the convention in Lexington?
I'd love to be in Lexington but I need to get a life. I am lucky if I get a day on the lake.

Thanks for the info folks. I will likely tackle this project next winter. It would be a sin to take the spider off the road this time of year!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Rick, There is a 71 Berlina 1750 Spica in the bone yard out here in California, the Intake Manifold/Throttle Bodies are still there if you are interested...the airbox is there but missing the front lid (where the intake hose attaches)...I can check on the price if you are interested...I'll try and stop by there this next week...

Regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts