Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where and how the hand throttle cable hooks up in a Spica equipped car? My 76 Spider has a non operative cable that just runs into the engine compartment and I don't have a clue how it could have been hooked up.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Hand throttle???

·
Registered
52 Posts
The cable connects to the throttle pivot on the driver's side of the firewall, sort of under the brake booster. It's not a terribly useful device.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the obvious spot, but this cable runs 3-4 feet past that point and has a diamond shaped flange on the end with two fasteners that looks a lot like the T.A. fitting on the Spica.....? Is this just some PO misadventure?

Yes, hand throttle..................torque DD.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's a Shankle Sure-Start, which is a mechanical replacement for the TA. I have had one on my '74 Spider for many, many years. Works perfectly, and it allows you to tune the fuel injection as if the engine is at normal operating temp, even when it's cold. There are nay-sayers out there, but I first used one on the early 80's, and wouldn't use anything else.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Yes, hand throttle..................torque DD.
:confused::confused::confused:Hand throttle, torque DD:confused::confused::confused: Don't use words, use pictures to describe what you are talking about. Saying hand throttle reminds me of hand controls, none of which I see in the engine bay...

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I agree with BSN05 that the Shankle Sure Start is an attractive alternative to a TA. I've had one on my '69 Spider for 18 years. In my installation the lever for the Sure Start is mounted next to the hand-throttle lever, although I am told that some installations employ the hand-throttle lever for the Sure Start, thus eliminating the hand throttle.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,283 Posts
Can anyone tell me where and how the hand throttle cable hooks up in a Spica equipped car? My 76 Spider has a non operative cable that just runs into the engine compartment and I don't have a clue how it could have been hooked up.
Here are the instructions for installing a Shankle Sure Start. It's not a hand trottle. It's used to start the car if there is no thermostatic actuator.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=19183&highlight=sure+start

The hand trottle is a solid wire that attaches to the accelerator linkage on the driver's side of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Here's a picture of the '74 mounting. Note that there is a special bracket that attaches to the brake booster. If yours is missing one can be easily fabricated from stock. Also note that the cable lock on Osso's picture is correct. I added the metal grommet to keep the cable square in the center of the large throttle linkage ring. Why Alfa did it the way they did, I have no idea.

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The hand throttle is a solid wire

Simular to or just like those found in a manual choke cable kit, or some Dodge hood releases then I take it. (I seem to recall the old late 70's Power Wagons having that style for some reason......)

Just thought I'd toss that out there in case someone is looking for a proper type cable to repair thiers.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I use the hand throttle on my 74 Spider much as one might use cruise contol in a more modern vehicle. That way, when I'm cruising at 135 MPH, I can pay more attention to the front bumpers of vehicles I have recently passed, just in case I have signed my name backwards on their bumper in reverse script. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts