Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if the in-tank booster fuel pumps were used on all Spider SPICA systems or did they eliminate the booster on later models?
I have attached photos of each.
I am wondering if the non-booster tank can be used with a 76 Spider.

On the non-booster tank, the steel pickup tube is welded to the top of the tank and extends into the sump area.
On the booster tank, the bottom of the assembly extends into the tank sump.

Thanks in advance.
Gary

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Early Spica cars did not have it. Through 1974 at least, they had only the under-floor pump. I cannot recall if 75-81 Spica had a booster, but I don't think so. I think only Bosch cars have the in-tank pump.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spica fuel tank

The reason I am asking is because I have a 79 that had not been run for several years before I bought it. I went through the entire fuel system, new filters, rear pump, hoses, etc. I took the tank out to have it lined and then refreshed the fuel gauge and in tank pieces. It had the booster pump as seen in the photo. Don't know if the PO did that or if it was a replacement tank with internals. anyway I am concerned that the tank will not make it so I picked up a spare off of the BB. It has different internals and the seller indicates it is off of a 77.

I know there are fuel starving issues with partially full tanks and thought the booster pump was the solution.

So now I am a bit confused.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SPICA Fuel Tank

Papajam,

If I read this link correctly, the top discharge tank started in 77 to resolve fuel starvation associated with the bottom discharge. Then in 79 they recalled them and installed the in tank pump assembly. I'm guessing they had more fuel starvation issues with the top discharge without the intank pump.

So, if I use the new to me tank, I should remove the pipe that goes to the sump and install the in tank pump assembly? I am not sure I can get the steel line out of the tank as the only access is through the hole where the assembly installs.

Geoman,
How long have you been using your set up in your 77?
No problems at all?

Thanks guys.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
If I read this link correctly, the top discharge tank started in 77 to resolve fuel starvation associated with the bottom discharge.
Other way round.

The change to the top discharge tank caused the fuel starvation issue (under certain conditions). This resulted in the recall to install an in-tank boost pump to feed the main pump (which is a gravity feed pump; it's designed for pumping, not sucking).

Does the tank want to use have a bottom discharge?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SPICA Fuel Tank

I got this tank to replace the 79 top discharge with the in tank pump assembly.
This one is in good shape but In order to use the in tank pump, I will have to remove the pipe that extends into the tank sump in order to get the in tank assembly in the tank.

I am not sure how to do that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
if you are talking about this

This is a pic of my fuel tank after it was cleaned . As you can see the pickup pipe you are talking about . I cut that pipe off and used a new intank pump and sender from IAP.
I had to cap off the old inlet pipe. There are many threads on this on the bb.
You can allso look at my post of my 77 spider.http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/112597-i-found-77-spider-play-3.html
hope this helps
I should allso add that, one problem was on a hot road ,a half tank of gas would get hot from the heat off the road and our running cars. That made it harder to get picked up . Our main pump were made to push not pull.
SO not all people would have this problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's exactly what I am talking about

Chef,
That's it. I saw you cut the pick up tube off with a hacksaw blade. I can do that!
The rest of the intake assembly will just drop into the tank with the tube out of the way.

Where did you get the tank liner kit? I know Eastwood has them

Thanks for the follow up.
Gary:D

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Papajam and Chef!
I now have a work plan.
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more question; IAP doesn't seem to have the booster pump portion of the sending unit any more. I have checked online with other vendors, Alfaholics, Centerline, etc., and can't find anyone with this part.

Is the booster pump protion now unobtanium or is there a source?

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
147 Posts
there are only a few companys that make fuel pumps. I have used airtex before . So I do like them and they are not so bad on the money side. heres one example,New Airtex E8778 Electric Fuel Pump | eBay.
as for the holder I made one out of Aluminum. As for the Sender unit with the holders you are right NLA.
If I were you I would post a want add in the parts sec of the board. I think there are still a few old ones around . You can get a used one and replace the sender part and pump .
As for Papajam ( jim) He is one of many people I stop and listen to about my Spider.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the Airtex E8778 the unit you used for the booster pump?
And yes; Papajam is a blessing?

Gary

·
Registered
797 Posts
Gary, I've only had the car about 2 1/2 yrs and I replaced the tank with a new one from IAP and replaced the rubber sections of the fuel and return lines. But the float/sending unit is the same, as well as the fuel pump. Haven't had any problems related to fuel delivery. I usually fill it up when the tank gets to 1/4 full, try not to let it get lower than that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts