Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this post applies to SPICA 1969 cars because that is what I have. I suspect it applies to later SPICA equipped cars at least thru 1974.

I have a 1969 Spider with what I believe is called a Fuel Vapor Separator Tank. This tank is mounted adjacent to the fuel filler neck above the left rear wheel well in the trunk. The green lines in the photo are plastic. I have no idea if that is what they are supposed to be. Car was completely disassembled prior to my ownership.

The short large hose connects to the filler neck and the longer large hose to the top of the tank adjacent to the filler neck.

According to the diagram in Appendix 8 to SPICA Fuel Supply Diagnostic Guide found in thread Spica Technical Guides, the other line goes to the Vent on the Oil Separator in the engine compartment.

None of my disassembly photos show where the small line goes. I have nothing plastic all the way to the engine compartment. I would have expected it along the fuel lines to and from the engine compartment, but the only additional line I see in my pictures of this area is the rear brake line. The small plastic line I do have is about 24 inches long. I don't believe I cut it off during disassembly. Can someone tell me where the small plastic line terminates? I should also state that my tank is steel rather than plastic as describe in Appendix 8. Should I have it cleaned and coated internally like the fuel tank? Might be challenging given its small size. I am going to wire brush and paint the outside for cosmetic purposes at least.

Went over and picked it up again. Based on the age set of the plastic, it kind of looks like the small line might have gone down the same hole as the overflow drain for the filler neck. Sound plausible?

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
The smaller hose is just an over flow that drains to the floor. I ha e some pics as on the 69 it doesn't ha e the tube at the engine. Good luck

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for feedback everyone. There are still two old zip tie clips on the small tube. What I have left is just long enough to be in the filler neck drain hole, not to reach behind the fuel tank as Brian has in his photo. Most of the plastic is quite stiff, but I was able to remove without cracking. The discharge end of the small line is still soft. I will have to look for the holes in the bottom of the fender. I doubt they are there as mine is a replacement panel on the car now. Apparently the intent is to provide a slight vacuum on the system when moving forward. This is what it looked like at disassembly. Note the wood and expanding foam in the lower left background. Also held in by sheet metal screws instead of rivets as shown in diagram from Brian.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts