Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new fuel pump from centerline for my 73 Spider. Everything is stock as far as mounts go. The problem is the fuel pump sits more than half way up the level of the fuel tank. If I drop the line going to the rear filter I get full flow out of the line from the tank. but with everything hooked up at 1/4 tank of gas nothing gets to the pump inlet. I know these pumps do not suck, but I would think that with everything hooked up they would push enough air toward the engine that enough fuel would follow. How would you ever get a car running that had run out of gas. Any ideas. Thanks

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Never had a problem, put gas in it, turn the key on until the fuel pressure light goes out, start. For changing the pump, just put a clamp in the line between the tank and the rear filter or between the rear filter and pump, if there is room, then no gas will syphon out.

Cheers,

·
Push hard and live
9,656 Posts
A 73 should have the low-front fuel exit on the tank. If your tank exit is on top, then someone modified to the later top-exit. The top-exit tanks use a submerged electric pump inside the tank, along with the sender unit intended for it. If you have this, your in-tank pump could be dead, and the main pump mounted outside the tank might not have enough draw to make it all work.

I just finalized a new pump-external regulator-cleanable filter system on my 77 Spider. Working brilliantly.

It is common to use a regular L-jet pump for the Spica cars. When you do, it is common to reduce the size of the restrictor orifice on the fuel-exit of the Spica pump. This allows the L-jet pump to create enough pressure. However, it also reduces the flow through both the Bosch L-jet pump and the Spica pump, which is important for cooling these pumps.

My system uses the Bosch "044" pump, which is a pressure and flow monster. Mated with an external regulator, and all of the original feed, return, and recirculate hoses, I'm getting 18-19 psi steady as a rock all the way from start-up to full-throttle high speed, and everywhere in between.

If you're interested, you can see a discussion in this thread... A 115 Spider as a boy’s first car - the technical events

The summary and pics are toward the end of the thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts