Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Happy Easter Weekend,

Quick Question: I have a 1974 GTV with Carburetors and my mechanic installed a Spica Fuel Filter before the Fuel Pump (low pressure) and now it runs poorly.

Should the Spica Fuel Filter work the same as a Regular Fuel Filter for Carburetors?

Maybe something else making the GTV run poorly, thought I would get your input.

Thanks,
Rogers

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,535 Posts
Any sort of fine filter before the pump is a bad idea: pumps are much better at generating pressure than they are suction. Carb pumps only need a coarse ~70 micron screen filter before them (and some, like the Facet Gold, have this built in.) You should put a fine filter downstream of the pump and pressure regulator.

Unclear if that's the whole of your problem, but it probably ain't helping. Which pump do you have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any sort of fine filter before the pump is a bad idea: pumps are much better at generating pressure than they are suction. Carb pumps only need a coarse ~70 micron screen filter before them (and some, like the Facet Gold, have this built in.) You should put a fine filter downstream of the pump and pressure regulator.

Unclear if that's the whole of your problem, but it probably ain't helping. Which pump do you have?

HI Gubi,

Thanks for the quick response, the pump is a low pressure from CARQUEST put on about 5 or 6 years ago.
It may be some bad gas or gunk from the fuel lines that plug up the carbs????
On Monday, I will start checking everything.

Thanks,
Rogers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts