Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

1981 Spider with the famous monofarfalla Spica system. I am attempting to change the, front, main fuel filter.

I have gotten the lower bowl, gaskets and filter dropped from the filter mount, directly under the big casting. :)

So, easy as pie right? Well, not really.

How do you get the filter out of that space? I have the intake plumbing removed and it is all loose in there, but it seems to be impossible to remove it forward, backwards, up, down. :(

I do not want to have to remove the starter to change the darn filter.

Any ideas? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I have nevers seen one like that. I guess I have never see a 81. On my 72 I have removed the nuts the hold the thing. as I also changed the fuel lines and it was very easy to do with it on the table. mine was stuck together and I had to use a vice and a pipe wrench the first time. but I have a airfilter box where you have the big silver thing. so I just remove my air box and it is easy to get to.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Slyalfa,

We just got it. You were right. We just removed the 2 nuts holding the filter body to the fender. Once the housing is loose there is just enough room to get it out towards the firewall and up. Everything went well after that. Ours was stuck in the housing also. We twisted the filter and it popped out.

We found that the bottom gasket was easy, after cleaning everything real well. We placed the gasket in the bottom of the aluminum housing, then put the filter in. Then we replaced the little O-Ring on the underside of the housing.

The tough little bugger was that top gasket. It had to be put up into the housing. It wants to fall out. Work with it, then once it is on, we snugged it all up. No leaks! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts