Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the small filter in my "new" 74 spider's SPICA.

Surprise surprise when I open it up - no filter installed!

Which direction does the filter install - spring in first, or filter in first?

Thanks! Dickson

·
Registered
169 Posts
the original manual states, "clean thoroughly the filter housing and insert the new filter and the spring in such a way that the spring faces the cover..." Tighten the cover almost all the way, start the engine to let a little oil "ooze" out, then carefully tighten the nuts until the leaking stops.

·
Premium Member
22,170 Posts
If we're talking oil filter, the round flat rubber seal goes in first, and should fit into the matching recess at the bottom of the housing. The spring fits into the cup on the other end of the filter, and as mentioned above, presses against the cover.
Andrew

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
If you think about it logically, it would make no sense for the filter to be against the cover plate. If that were the case, then there would be no oil flow through the filter. That filter is important because where it taps into the oil system, it's getting unfilter oil from the engine sump.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,040 Posts
John, That explains why it's so sludgy in there even with frequent oil/filter changes. That said, by the "book", this one is supposed to be changed every 12000 miles versus 3000 or so for the main (4:1), but one could make a case to do it every 6000 if not 3000 (minimum yearly?) considering how little most of us may drive our cars (weekenders, etc.). It seems like cheap insurance for the Spica pump.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Considering my filter area - sans filter - was pretty sludgy - and the oil semi-dirty, I am concerned about running unfiltered oil into the SPICA. I'm pretty sure I'm eventually in for a rebuild or replace of that pump. :(

·
Registered
293 Posts
Before you change the engine oil, remove the barometric sensor from the Spica (3 slotted screws), and pour a quart of fresh oil slowly through the opening. That will flush the old oil out of the logic section of the pump, which will drain into the engine sump. I actually do this with every other oil change. If your Spica is properly adjusted, and your engine oil doesn't smell like gasoline, your pump is likely in good shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts